New Head unit has power but doesn't work

prender

Hi

I have tried swapping the perm and switched live wires before but this just meant that there was no power to the new stereo at all. I think the new stereo needs both the perm and switched to operate.

The stock radio doesn't even need the key in the ignition for it to turn on and off, retain the preset stations etc. so presumably doesn't need the switched live at all - although whether this means that it has slowly been draining the battery, I don't know.

If your stock radio didn't need the key in the ignition to turn it on that suggest the auto leads adapter you've brought isn't wired up the same way its wired for a second live when the ignition is turned on.Your new radio has two live feeds 1 for the Illumination and the 2nd for the ignition live.Look at the instructions for your new unit and see if there is a wiring diagram,if there is find which is for the second ignition live and put a live to it.

OFFS ive been wiring stereos for years if you have a problem with the switch feed then yes just put the two 12v feeds together to the one that works chances are its a broken wire in the loom. The two wires being together will create NO problem all it means is that you can listen to the stereo without having the ignition on !! imo much better !!!! so no need at all to fcuk about if there is no further issues with the vehicle in question.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd give an update - more for those who may have a similar problem.

I think I was really hoping someone would give me Stoney's advice: Wire both to the permanent live. Unfortunately, although this got the stereo working, the battery drained within a couple of days.

I think I'm going to have to assume that the problem is in the innards of the car and that I'll have to stick to the stock radio/cassette (I recently found an old Specials tape that I may have to play to death!)

Thanks to all those who gave this some consideration.