sequential boxes

spanner

thinking i am having to take the plunge for sequential box as i have gone through 2 pro quaife boxes in 2 events, i have thought about a dog box but once you go 250bhp or over the rebuild costs are between £500-1K after 5-6 events.

I have heard good things about the new 60G quaife sequential and also about il300 elite box, hewland and tractive are also ment to be good but Very expensive.

Any comments or advice welcome

The h-gate boxes from Quaife with the sequential shifter bolt-on were pretty crappy, always missing gears and requiring frequent rebuilds. The 60G looks to be a different kind of box so so no idea on reliability.

X-trac and Hewland are always the good ones though.

hearing good stories about the 60G, the 15G boxes as you mentioned where a H patern box adapted to sequential so it gave a lot of trouble. also hearing good stories about the 300 elite box, BUT then u hear other stories about lads that have been sponsored the elite box to promote it and it goes back to elite for checking after every event. so it might not be just as good as he is letting on...

X Trac and hewland are 10K and 6K i think so way out of my league BUT very good boxes, Eugene Ferry over here has 2no. Tractive boxes and has never had to put in the spare because of failure in over 2 seasons of rallying.

The dog box is by far the cheaper way to go but they can be very expensive to rebuild or fix a mate of mine rebuilds his every 3-6 events and it lost gears last time out and cost him neary 1k to get fixed, if you look on the quaife site it says dog good for 275bhp so it is getting very close to the wire on bhp.

at the moment with the 2 pro quaife failures it has cost me the rebuild cost between 300-400 each time and then the entry fee because of not finishing at 540 euro each time, have to take the plunge but the money is scary for sequential so i have to do as much research before i commit to anything. thanks for comments stu.

Edited by spanner

gearbox is the only bit now that is letting it down everything else is new so at this stage i may carry on :), this is the second car i have built from scratch and i WONT be doing it again..... i just take these crazy notions about cars that may be diffrent.

The only thing that is keeping me going, is a simialr spec MKII where making +30K up to 50K last year so i was quids in then but they have come back alot recently, quarters and lights, doors etc are also easier and cheaper than they MKII cousins..

first u want to get away from quaife the blue tack they use to hold the gears 2gether couldnt withstand 2.75 bhp never mind 275 i think you have answerd your own question really mate the guy hasnt had to put a box in for 2 years but as u say a bit out of ur price range ive got a ffd active dogbox in my car and yes ok if it goes bang its expensive but aslong as u get it serviced at the end of every year which is very minimal they are a very good box imo. also my car is pushing out about 320bhp so they would withstand it all day your best bet is to phone a few well know gearbox repaires up and just speak to them they will point you in the right direction