Questions about applying for (another) part time job while still at co

LiamGTR

I'm applying to be a Gym Instructor to get me some extra wonga, and get some much needed experience to help me get in the RAF as a PTI.

But I have some questions, what should I do?:

On the application form it says "Please provide two references, one of which should be from your present or most recent employer." .... problem is I don't want my current employer knowing I am after a new job because if I get it I will be leaving my current job but if I DON'T get it, I don't want him being an arse and trying to find any reason to get rid of me...

How far do you's travel roughly for work? (in miles please...)

Liam :cheers:

You cant just get the sack from work without a very good reason and even then they have to go down proper Chanels Verbal, written and final written warnings etc, all this is assuming you are the model employee of course.

If its just a Part time Job on top of your exsisting Job then just ask your boss for a reference or better still ask him if he has overtime.

Actually

ive just re-read your post.

You could always ring the gym you want to work at and explain your anxiety about asking your present employer for a reference, so is there another former employer you can ask, if so try them

Actually

ive just re-read your post.

You could always ring the gym you want to work at and explain your anxiety about asking your present employer for a reference, so is there another former employer you can ask, if so try them

I'm applying online but suppose I could ge tthe number of the gym as it's part of the council...

Legally he can't write a bad reference anyway mate.

And I do a 40 mile round trip per day :thumb:

You could even get a reference from college tutor.

40 mile trip, you wouldn't recommend that for a part time job though would you?

They don't check references before they offer you the job.

5 miles-ish.

5 miles so a bit of a difference there! I haven't ended up adding him, not yet anyway because i've ticked the "isit ok to contact this employer prior to interview" because I want to look as if i'm hiding nothing and if I say no you can't, to me that sounds as if you're hiding something... :unsure:

What I wrote reads wrong.

He can't write a bad false reference. :)

No probs mae I knew what you ment, I don't think he would give me (or any of us) as bad ref, since he took over last year we already beat last years profit a few months ago (from April > April profits are caculated - Tax year or something?) so we're all pretty good as a team.

5 miles-ish.

5 miles so a bit of a difference there! I haven't ended up adding him, not yet anyway because i've ticked the "isit ok to contact this employer prior to interview" because I want to look as if i'm hiding nothing and if I say no you can't, to me that sounds as if you're hiding something... :unsure:

A bit of a difference to what?

So they've asked for your current or most recent employer as a reference, and you haven't put them down as one. Aye, sounds like you're not hiding anything there........... :-\

5 miles-ish.

A bit of a difference to what?

So they've asked for your current or most recent employer as a reference, and you haven't put them down as one. Aye, sounds like you're not hiding anything there........... :-\

A bit of a difference, your 5 miles to Saunders 40.

And no it's asked for most recent employment...which I have put, but I haven't put him down as a reference, which said I "Should" but not "must", guess your answer is still going to be the same though?

Would I recommend a 40 mile round trip?

Depends on the roads/traffic, your money you earn, how much you'd spend on getting to work and how much you'd have left other.

Depends on what future prospects you will open up by being employed there, in your case, experience as a gym instructor, etc. :thumb:

The money is always going to be better no matter where I go so the experience is going to be the next key criteria for me, but no matter what gym I go to i'll get that but it's just what's available at the moment Edited by LiamGTR

Your current employer wont be a cock if the RAF dont accept you, he won't feel betrayed, and lose faith in your commitment to the company. After all, your only trying to better yourself and if he thinks his gym is superior to the RAF then he is diluded.

And BTW, Your application to the RAF will be successful, unless they are'nt recruiting right now (which they should'nt be, since at least 2,000 jobs need to be axed)

But if they're not recruiting they wont contact your references, they'll just let you know theyre not recruiting and to try again next time they are

Your current employer wont be a cock if the RAF dont accept you, he won't feel betrayed, and lose faith in your commitment to the company. After all, your only trying to better yourself and if he thinks his gym is superior to the RAF then he is diluded.

And BTW, Your application to the RAF will be successful, unless they are'nt recruiting right now (which they should'nt be, since at least 2,000 jobs need to be axed)

But if they're not recruiting they wont contact your references, they'll just let you know theyre not recruiting and to try again next time they are

This application right now isn't for the RAF, this is for a Gym Instructor in a localish Gym in Newcastle mate.

That's one of the main reasons i'm not applying for the RAF, until I get some experience as that was the reason why I failed my 1st PTI attempt...that and that fact I was only 17....

I'm applying to be a Gym Instructor to get me some extra wonga, and get some much needed experience to help me get in the RAF as a PTI.

But I have some questions, what should I do?:

On the application form it says "Please provide two references, one of which should be from your present or most recent employer." .... problem is I don't want my current employer knowing I am after a new job because if I get it I will be leaving my current job but if I DON'T get it, I don't want him being an arse and trying to find any reason to get rid of me...

How far do you's travel roughly for work? (in miles please...)

Liam :cheers:

1. Your current employer is not allowed to provide a negative reference

2. Your current employer wouldnt wish to incite a "unfair disnissal" claim so wont "find a way to sack you" unless you give them a VERY good reason to do so

3. I dont tend to travel for work anymore but I used to easy clock over 1000 miles a week.... yes I did say "1000 miles"