MOT questions...

16V_Silver

Hi,

My MOT is due on saturday.

One thing I have noticed about the car is that if I let go of the steering wheel the car has a tendancy to pull to the left.. So what is causing this, and will this be spotted in the MOT? Would I need to tell the mechanic in the garage, or best waiting until after the MOT? I have checked all tire pressures both left and right and all are equal pressures.

Also if my car needs things doing to it (e.g. repair work) would I have to pay for them straight away, or could I bring the car back another time if I didn't have enough money for repairs, even though the MOT will be expired? In other words am I allowed to drive the car to a garage for repairs with an expired MOT, in order for the purpose of passing the MOT?

Thanks.

Hi,

My MOT is due on saturday.

One thing I have noticed about the car is that if I let go of the steering wheel the car has a tendancy to pull to the left.. So what is causing this, and will this be spotted in the MOT? Would I need to tell the mechanic in the garage, or best waiting until after the MOT? I have checked all tire pressures both left and right and all are equal pressures.

Also if my car needs things doing to it (e.g. repair work) would I have to pay for them straight away, or could I bring the car back another time if I didn't have enough money for repairs, even though the MOT will be expired? In other words am I allowed to drive the car to a garage for repairs with an expired MOT, in order for the purpose of passing the MOT?

Thanks.

the pulling to 1 side, is either the tracking, or possibly a bottom arm

You can legally take the car away even if the MOT has expired, and bring it back later

But some garages do charge a retest fee, but sometimes waiver this if the car is left there

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

So this 'tracking'.. Will this likely cost much to repair if it is that?

Probably Free - unless it wants adjusting, in which it may cost £20 ish, but would advise checking your bottom arms first as tracking would be pointless if ya bottom arms are naft

you should take the car for its mot at least a week before its due so you have more time to fix it if it fails,.

why? as soon as its failed its failed, if mine passes today then did another tomorrow and failed it would be illegal to drive other than to and from MOT test station. it is "expired" the moment it fails.

Bad news, the MOT failed and I can't afford the repairs ;(

Most of them where to do with underneath the car.. joints, suspensions, leakage, corrosions, and some tyre issues. Also needs some welding done.

Now the previous MOT actually doesnt run out for a few more days.. So does this mean the car can still be driven until then ??

Edited by 16V_Silver