Your Towns famous/Known for....

stevie crawford was born in my town, it ihas a naval dockyard here, the draymin are from rosyth(indie band)

queen margaret passed through here 1000 years ago fleeing william the conqueror, (think she was in a cossie and he had a 1.4 lx),

famous for being the garden city,

only 3 miles from the ancient capital of scotland, anyone know what the ancient capital was ???

seems they cant make their mind up in your neck of the woods >>> Scone, Dunfermline and Stirling

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stevie crawford was born in my town, it ihas a naval dockyard here, the draymin are from rosyth(indie band)

queen margaret passed through here 1000 years ago fleeing william the conqueror, (think she was in a cossie and he had a 1.4 lx),

famous for being the garden city,

only 3 miles from the ancient capital of scotland, anyone know what the ancient capital was ???

seems they cant make their mind up in your neck of the woods >>> Scone, Dunfermline and Stirling

was dunfermline mate.

See what I remember...

Fish..

Hull refused entry to a king once... Lemme google

In April 1642 the king attempted to enter Hull. However the governor of Hull, a man named Sir John Hotham held a meeting with some parliamentarians in a room in his house known as the 'plotting room'. He decided to refuse the King entry to Hull.

Our accent

Tower block of commons or whatever it was called.

Patty and chips

Possible the biggest poo-hole in the country?

Muhammad Ali was married in South Shields

The First 'race' riot

Ship Building

& now Joe Mcwhats'hisface from F Factor

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/23234.jpg

and paul simon wrote "homeward bound" in our train station :pancake:

Manchester;

Selection of famous people:

Noel and Liam Gallagher

David Lloyd George - PM during WWI

Emmeline Pankhurst - Sufragette

Ian Curtis - Joy Division

Anthony Burgess - Author of A Clockwork Orange

John Thaw - Actor AKA Regan and Morse

Manchester is probably best known in history as the centre of the cotton trade during the industrial revolution

also in terms of football Maine Road holds the record for the highest attendance at a club ground (84,569, Manchester City V Stoke City, FA Cup, 1934)

Manchester;

Selection of famous people:

Noel and Liam Gallagher - pair of arrogant tossers

David Lloyd George - PM during WWI - clueless plonker that refused to except the rules of warfare were changing

Emmeline Pankhurst - Sufragette - feckin women aye :rolleyes:

Ian Curtis - Joy Division - erm didnt he say "famous for"

Anthony Burgess - Author of A Clockwork Orange - deranged crackpot

John Thaw - Actor AKA Regan and Morse - so THATS WHERE that borin feck comes from

Im actually feeling a bit sorry for Manc now :unsure:

Edited by shawdreamer

Where I live now, its not old enough to have any history.

Where I grew up:

Sir Peter Maxwell Davies (Composer & conductor) and Pete Shelley (Lead singer of Buzzcocks) were both old pupils of Leigh Grammar School. Jazz musician Georgie Fame was born in Leigh in 1943. Thomas Burke tenor and opera singer was born in 1890 and attended St Joseph's School. The author of "Goodbye, Mr Chips", James Hilton was also born in Leigh.

Leigh is now regarded as one of the largest towns in the country without a railway station