Your Towns famous/Known for....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typed Taunton into Wiki as I havent been here long and havent got a clue!! Its the County Town of Somerset...cyder country! 98.4% of the population are white, quite different to places outside the South West I imagine. Sort of famous for having the county cricket ground, they have built flats overlooking the ground and John Clease is rumoured to be buying one.

Famous people from Taunton- Vanessa from the Saturdays, Marcus Trescothick cricketer, Andy Robertson, former England rugby player, Deaborah Meaden from Dragons Den was born here and Gary Rhodes was a head chef somewhere in Taunton for a while lol

Typed Taunton into Wiki as I havent been here long and havent got a clue!! Its the County Town of Somerset...cyder country! 98.4% of the population are white, quite different to places outside the South West I imagine. Sort of famous for having the county cricket ground, they have built flats overlooking the ground and John Clease is rumoured to be buying one.

Famous people from Taunton- Vanessa from the Saturdays, Marcus Trescothick cricketer, Andy Robertson, former England rugby player, Deaborah Meaden from Dragons Den was born here and Gary Rhodes was a head chef somewhere in Taunton for a while lol

..............and I delivered to their ASDA today too :roll:

you were 2mins from my house... its just at the end of that dual carridegway your not sleeping in the truck park here tonight are you lol... its at the end of my street

get down and put the sh!tters up him.... then again... best not incase it aint him !!

Ealing.

A bit more than i had realised until i looked in wikipedia.

We have the oldest film studios in the world

Archaeological evidence shows that parts of Ealing have been occupied for at least 7,000 years

Alan Blumlein, Electronics engineer, who made contributions to High-Definition TV, Radar, Sound Reproduction - including stereo sound - and telephony, lived in Ealing between 1933 and 1942. He was killed in 1942 in a 'plane crash testing the H2S radar.

Andy Picheta, Film and TV director and producer, was raised in Ealing. Picheta briefly worked at Ealing Studios as a director and also had roles in music videos filmed in Ealing.

England cricketer Andrew Strauss currently lives in Ealing.

Lady Noel Byron (Lord Byron's widow) has a 'Blue Plaque' dedicated to her, above the main entrance of Thames Valley University in South Ealing Road. She founded Ealing Grove school in 1834, the first industrial school of its type.[8][9] Living with her, was her daughter Ada Lovelace who was England's first computer programmer and has the programming Language 'ada' named after her.

Arthur Haynes (1914–1966) the comedian, lived in Gunnersbury Avenue (at 74).[9]

Frank Richards (1876–1961) who is most remembered for writing Billy Bunter, lived in a house that once stood in what is now part of Ealing Shopping Centre. The site is marked with a blue plaque.[9]

Acclaimed British soul singer Dusty Springfield (1939–99) grew up in Ealing.

Daniel Casey actor (Midsomer Murders)

Ellie Harrison (b.1979) - artist, was born and grew up in Ealing. Her famed project "Gold Card Adventures" using Ealing Broadway as its starting point.

Fred Perry (1909–1995) England's greatest tennis player, lived in Brunner Road, Ealing.

Gary Bond, the actor, died in Ealing.

Henry Fielding (1707–54) the novelist, had from 1752 a country house at Fordhook. He wrote some of Tom Jones there.[10]

Julian Clary went to St Benedict's School, a Roman Catholic school in Ealing, London.

Jay Kay of pop band Jamiroquai is also a former resident. He attended Drayton Manor School in Ealing.

Chris Patten the last governor of Hong Kong, went to St. Benedict's School in Ealing, London.

Acid jazz group Brand New Heavies were formed in Ealing.

The political couple, former European commissioner and leader of the Labour Party, Neil Kinnock and his wife, Glenys Kinnock, who is a member of the European Parliament, have their London home in Ealing.

Champion athlete Lillian Board MBE (1948–70), a double European gold medallist and an Olympic silver medallist, lived in Ealing from 1956 to 1970. Known as the Golden Girl of British athletics, she died of cancer in 1970. Two streets in the borough of Ealing are named in her honour: Lillian Board Way, in Greenford, and Lillian Avenue (near Acton Town London Underground station).

Matt Monro: English ballad singer of the 1960s. He sold more than 100 million records.

Michaela Dennis, of Armand and Michaela Dennis, who made the “On Safari” TV series’ of animals in Africa in the late 50s and early 60s, had a retreat in Ealing from the summer heat of her Nairobi home.

Mitch Mitchell (1946–2008) Drummer for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, was born and grew up in Ealing.

Murray Perahia (b.1947) the famous pianist and conductor, lives in Ealing.

Nevil Shute (1899–1960) the novelist, remembered for such books as A Town Like Alice and On the Beach, was a past resident (16 Somerset Rd).[11]

Nicholas Roscow, who played the dog Doodles in the Tweenies, lived in Ealing Common.

Osmond Barnes (1834–1930), as Chief Herald of India proclaimed Queen Victoria Empress of India at Delhi in 1877. In retirement he lived in Ealing at 40, Mount Park Road.[12]

Pat Chapman, founder of the Curry Club and author of 36 food books, was born in Ealing in 1940 and lived at 32 Eaton Rise until 1979. His first primary school was Durston House. His mother owned and ran a maternity nursing home (Prescott House) at 34 Eaton Rise between 1942 and 1953.

Paul McGrath, former Aston Villa, Manchester United, Derby County and Republic of Ireland International footballer, was born in Ealing in 1959

Peter Crouch spent his childhood living in Pitshanger Village, attending North Ealing Primary School and Drayton Manor High School.

Pete Townshend lived in Ealing Common with his parents; he attended Ealing Art School.

Ealing is the cradle of blues-based rock music, notably The Rolling Stones whose roots can be traced back to the Ealing Jazz Club in 1962.

Sanjeev Bhaskar (1964–) the comedian, was born in Ealing.

Sid James (1913–1976) the actor and comedian, lived in Gunnersbury Avenue (at 35).[9]

Spencer Perceval, Prime Minister from 1809 until 1812 lived at Elm Grove, a large house at the south-west corner of Ealing Common. Perceval was shot dead in the lobby of the house of commons in May 1812 by John Bellingham. Bellingham was tried, found guilty and hanged just seven days later.

Thomas Huxley, Biologist, "Darwin's Bulldog", was born in Ealing in 1825.

Will Barker, a pioneer of British cinema, lived and worked at Ealing Green for many years.

Ealing also boasted London's smallest theatre, Bankside Theatre, in Tring Avenue Ealing Common. It was founded by Beatrice and Mabel Siddons-Downe, great-granddaughters of Sarah Siddons and operated from 1928 to 1956.

Nick Goolab (1990-) Great Britain Junior international athlete and national cross country champion is still seen running in the streets of Ealing.

Alternative indie band White Lies live in and are from Ealing.

Colin Thompson the children's author was born in Ealing on October 18, 1942 at the Old Court Nursing Home, Hanger Lane. He attended Savernake Kindergarten, Durston House School and Ealing Art School.

Tom Houlihan who stars in The Fimbles as grew up in Ealing with his friend Nicholas Roscow, who is Doodles the dog in the Tweenies.

Shappi Khorsandi grew up in Ealing after leaving Iran.

John Sergeant lives in Ealing.

Freddie Mercury studied in Ealing Art College.

Elisabeth Sladen, actress, lives in Ealing.

Salford is most famous for LS Lowry, other things are Salford lads club (was pictured on the front cover of the smiths album), loads of musicians have been born, Peter Hook from new order fame. A few gangster families have been involved in tv documentries.

i used to train there for a while with my mate! is it the one near the sainsburys in ordsall is it?

My town (Sandwich Kent) - just had the new walkers crisps adverts filmed here for the walkers sandwich, They filmed Jenson button dropping some old lady off in a taxi outside my house, had pamela anderson and al murray in my local doin a pub quiz and JLS performing here.

Before this was just a place full of old people! the advert airs tonight so keep your eyes pealed.

you were 2mins from my house... its just at the end of that dual carridegway your not sleeping in the truck park here tonight are you lol... its at the end of my street

nah I was long gone mate, lol, had my break in the layby up the road by McD's :)