Focus ST170 Write Off

lewiscobley

after driving on average 8 hours a night, 5 days a week for 5 years, I'd genuinely like to see some of you try it.

*I am in NO WAY condoning driving tired.

I have worked some of the most god awful mad hours jobs miles from home you'd care to imagine, from 3 shift double shifting to driving halfway across the country and half way back after a days work everyday for 14monthes straight and I can honestly put my hand up and say that if I felt tired, I didnt drive till I slept, even if that meant curling up in a snow covered car and kipping for a couple of hours.

I sorta meant as a job, where you're not really permitted to stop...

but anyway... :)

Im not aware of a job were dangerous levels of fatigue are legally exceptable?

I like your wording....

try HGV driving at night. You keep stopping, you'll be through the disaplinary procedure before you know it and out the door.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PMSL ... Bit Harsh init :rolleyes: Deserve to lose his leg? Maybe an Eye?

These things happen ... Nearly dont it my self a few times ..

harsh?........ a tired driver wiped out half a seven member family on the motorway the other week!!.

as for him not coming on with excuses Im actually quite appreciative of him not doing so, least he has enough honesty and integrity to know that there is NO excuses for such a idiotic action and its ultimate outcome .

at least 3 and a half people survived

after driving on average 8 hours a night, 5 days a week for 5 years, I'd genuinely like to see some of you try it.

*I am in NO WAY condoning driving tired.

I have worked some of the most god awful mad hours jobs miles from home you'd care to imagine, from 3 shift double shifting to driving halfway across the country and half way back after a days work everyday for 14monthes straight and I can honestly put my hand up and say that if I felt tired, I didnt drive till I slept, even if that meant curling up in a snow covered car and kipping for a couple of hours.

I sorta meant as a job, where you're not really permitted to stop...

but anyway... :)

Im not aware of a job were dangerous levels of fatigue are legally exceptable?

I like your wording....

try HGV driving at night. You keep stopping, you'll be through the disaplinary procedure before you know it and out the door.

company would be understandably miffed if their driver was excessively stopping for respite but Im pretty sure the EU laws regarding long distance driving stipulates that only a certain distance/milage cannoy be acheived without a specific requirement for respite stops.

to go beyond that stipulation would be termed as breaking the EU law and a healthy driver should be more than capable of sticking to that regime......I suppose a company can set its own stopping/delivery targets but at the end of the day if those targets contradict the EU laws then they cant legally disipline anyone for taking their lawful respite stops. :thumb:

Edited by shawdreamer

A healthy driver should be more than capable of sticking to that regime......I suppose a company can set its own stopping/delivery targets but at the end of the day if those targets contradict the EU laws then they cant legally disipline anyone for taking their lawful respite stops. :thumb:

Any company can diciplin ANYONE for whatever they like, (Gross Misconduct), Or they can simply say your not achieving goals there are ways around "Unfair Dismissal" these days, Take it from a managing director!

I used to be a manager for Norbert Dentressangle and even they sack people for just "Sticking to the laws".

again, like ya wording, but you're on a different planet.

Agreed, He usually is in all honnesty il say what other members think :P heh

Agreed, He usually is in all honnesty il say what other members think :P heh

is that so?

you speak for the masses do you??

well, Im shocked and a little alarmed :unsure:

oh wait, I get it now..... assumption of others opinions justifys your own wild grasps at reality? ?(

I wasn't slating anyone.....

the irony is,what you posted above about EU law, would be the exact line a company boss would use to get rid of you, lol

only if you were breaking it yourself, obviously the law can be a double edged sword

the irony is,what you posted above about EU law, would be the exact line a company boss would use to get rid of you, lol

only if you were breaking it yourself, obviously the law can be a double edged sword

it certainly is a double edged sword.

a) THE LAW: why did you go over your 4.5 hour driving allowance? that's illegal, have a fine....

b) THE BOSS: Why did you stop at 3.5 hours? you had an hour left!!!

a) THE LAW: why did you go over your 4.5 hour driving allowance? that's illegal, have a fine....

an experienced driver I assume such as yourself would have experience with balancing you travel needs to remain in the legal "grey area" I guess

tbh the fella didnt come on full of excuses, and im positive its a harsh lesson learned.

Anyone that says they've never driven tired/had a fag while smoking/ate a pack of crips or something similar is either talking utter pish or is as close to a roadgoing saint as you can get.

I've driven tired a few times, granted nothings ever came of it but i drove over 1200 miles in one day and had to be home before 7am to drop off what i was picking up, so there was no stopping on the way home. I guess that means i deserve to lose a limb?

an experienced driver I assume such as yourself would have experience with balancing you travel needs to remain in the legal "grey area" I guess

yes, and to be totally fair, ASDA leaves that sort of decision to the driver.

General Haulage on the other hand, Eddie Stobart etc etc, takes the decision away from the driver, hence why i'd NEVER do general haulage.

yes, and to be totally fair, ASDA leaves that sort of decision to the driver.

General Haulage on the other hand, Eddie Stobart etc etc, takes the decision away from the driver, hence why i'd NEVER do general haulage.

the driver I previously mentioned that wiped out half a family was a haulage driver and was prosocuted for driving offences and later prosocuted under the EU laws when the evidence retrieved from his cab confirmed he'd driven twice alsong as the law dictated he should have without stopping for a respite..........the little polish feck illegaly ran off back to poland the same day he was charged and put on released. :vangry: