Full tank = pissing in the wind?

Ok, so i'm wanting to be tight on my way down to Windsor on Friday to see how much petrol i need to put in - and compare it to 'normal driving' on the way back....

Now filling the tank to the brim is what i normally do, but that's just dead weight for most the journey......but not having enough fuel o last the trip means slowing to a stop - filling up again and then getting upto speed once more......

whats your opinions on a full tank? yes its 'easier/lazier' but if you were to achieve your best MPG would you want half a tank and stop when needs must or brim it and take the hit on the dead weight until it was used......

I was bored at work today with no business coming through the door so had a wee peek around the net on my phone and i kept geting led towards www.supermiler.com but i had to be registered to view - i actually got stuck behind a 'supermiler' stickered Priarse a few weeks ago and it took him an age and a lifetime to get from the green light upto 50...

Discuss! :cheers:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the time it takes to detour to a filling station, (if not on route) then restart car and return to origonal route will probably work out higher in fuel use than the added weight( hard to judge a weight for fuel) of a full tank,

get tyre pressures correct, empty your car of unneeded items, in boot/glovebox, that way you can cancel out the extra fuel in the tank.

but to be honest i dont think that the extra fuel in your tank would really affect your fuel consumption per mile.

just use the throttle gently and coast down hills and wnen on the motorway lift your foot off the throttle a bit, saves fuel and you probably wont slow down either.

Cost of southern fuel will ruin you mate! 120.9 at my local garage, even more near Windsor (I was at legoland on sunday)

Fill it up at your local tesco and try and crack the whole journey in one tank, use the cruise control as much as you can to hold it at the best speed. I've found mine is just over 50 (yes its fooking slow on the motorway buts its the only way to get much over 30MPG)

I'm almost regretting getting the 4.4....

115.9 at Morrisons & Asda - i'm sure they get their fill from the Shell Depo in Jarrow (4/5 mile away)

just had a look on that cheapest petrol site - Windsor/Slough is showing 117.9 not TOO big a difference.... ideal speed in anycar for MPG is 56mph but i dont think i could torture AJ to be in his car seat that long or take more breaks and extend the drive even more so lol

(I was at legoland on sunday)

was everything open/looking good? recomendations to start/finish?

Don't tell me that's why your coming mate?!

Legoland is NOT SUITABLE for under 6s in my opinion.

Children under 6 (or at least, the height a 6 year old is) can only go on certain shitty rides (my 2 year old could only go on 2 or 3 things,he was a whisker under 0.9 metres so technically shouldnt have even went on the waverider ride thing he did go on)

The 4D bob the builder show my son loved, he also loved the waverider boat thing, other than that he didnt get to do much (he watched the pirate show at the lighthouse and he won a huge teddy at the hook-a-fish stand thing..

We only went because we had mates down for the easter weekend, and their kids are a little older..

Queues were massive (an hour for the waverider thing,90 minutes for their best rollercoaster,which is still crap) and the prices are high (£38 per adult, 28 per child..unless you have BOGOF tickets which we did)

The lego minature village was cool,got lots of pics,but tbh mate my son had a more enjoyable day on the saturday when we went to "funtimes" indoor play area... total cost £4.50

I will not be going again until baby number 2 is 7,then harrison will be 10 so they will both get on everything really.

I swear by super unleaded and 3/4 of a tank.

I remove the spare wheel from my cars now, too.

suprising how much that improves fuel consumption.

right up until you have a blow-out miles from home and have to pay your mates petty to bring your spare to you :pancake:

ah poop - he's 4, but a tall 4...hmmm lol ah well still an adventure for him.

I forgot to mention that i only use Super/Ultimate also as the E39 has octane sensors so can adjust spark timing ETC to suit

and we got cheaper than BOGOF lol £12 each for me and her and £9 for AJ :-) used expedia to book the Hilton in Slough for £90 for two nights also :-D

ah poop - he's 4, but a tall 4...hmmm lol ah well still an adventure for him.

I forgot to mention that i only use Super/Ultimate also as the E39 has octane sensors so can adjust spark timing ETC to suit

and we got cheaper than BOGOF lol £12 each for me and her and £9 for AJ :-) used expedia to book the Hilton in Slough for £90 for two nights also :-D

sod the rest of it.......... WHY THE FECK is there a Hilton in Slough?

seriously.......... its SLOUGH!

Cost of southern fuel will ruin you mate! 120.9 at my local garage, even more near Windsor (I was at legoland on sunday)

Fill it up at your local tesco and try and crack the whole journey in one tank, use the cruise control as much as you can to hold it at the best speed. I've found mine is just over 50 (yes its fooking slow on the motorway buts its the only way to get much over 30MPG)

I'm almost regretting getting the 4.4....

Have to agree your be best buying your fuel at your cheapest local pump. But using the cruise control won't automatically give you the best MPG. When Clarkson took the diesel Audi to Scotland and back on one tank he found you have to keep it very steady and ease it up hills, you also have to negotiate traffic without accelerating or braking.

Then again if you have a car with cruise, your gonna use it, but then again if you have a car with a 4.4 your probably want to travel at over 56mph :D

Cruise control is the worst thing to use if you are going for economy, I lose 3-5mpg using mine on the motorway instead of using my foot and controling the throttle.

Im assuming you will be taking a break on the drive down Aaron, why not decide on where to stop, fill up with the amount you will need to get to your rest stop and top up there to make it to your destination, that way you wont be carrying an excessive amount of fuel.