2.0 conversion problem

taz500

are you guys having problems with the late cars with digi dials, because the 2.0 conversions I've done have gone fine

yes I believe it could be the problem, as I have watched the 2.0 be done and work fine on an r reg, same procedure on an x plate and the temp gauge doesn't work. The fan is kicking in when the engine is hot.

I noticed it looks like the needle is trying to work in the wrong direction on the gauge?

goin from wat lordjc said in an earlier post about it appears to be working the wrong way roundit could be one of a couple of things .

1/ try swapin the wires on the plug as its only a 2pin plug one will be a feed and the other pos an earth and could be working wrong way round.

2/ check for wiring differences between non digi dash ecu set up and digi dash set up it should be quite straight forward

I would suggest searching for "Probs after 2.0 upgrade" but I never found a definitive answer to this prob.

We(my son and I) did an "X" reg Finesse and everything worked ok EXCEPT the temp gauge!!!!

We tried putting a second temp sensor in the thermostat housing( the spare hole underneath) and

running a wire from that to the temp gauge but it was a bit confusing as the gauge works sometimes

and not properly at all. That was with the other side of the sensor connected to earth. The only thing we haven't tried yet,

mainly due to lack of time, is connecting to a battery, possibly via a resistor to give 5v???

I think there are differences in the ecu's that make life difficult and getting access to the relevant diagrams

is almost impossible.Sorry not to be the bearer of good news but this seems to be a problem only with the electronic instruments.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I have been discussing with my son the prob with the temp gauge.

He has found that using a second temp sensor in the thermostat housing and wiring that to the digi

gauges connector, the gauge will go to "min" on switch on (cold) and then progress up the gauge as the engine

warms up and continues to indicate ok while the car is used.

If he then switches off and switches on again, while the engine is warm, the gauge goes up to "maximum" then

back down to the stop and refuses to move. If the car then gets cold,i.e overnight, it works ok until stopped and started again!

As I said in the previous post I did wonder whether connecting the "other" side of the sensor to something like a 5v source

might work but as I am unable to access any diagrams proper to "X" reg Finesse I am unable to work out what is needed to

get round this prob.

If anyone has a diagram, NOT from Haynes, perhaps they can PM me.

If anyone on here (Stu perhaps?) can offer some time and/or expertise, my son would willingly travel for some

investigation work!

I wonder if swapping the feed wires at the digidash end might make a difference

If its trying to work in reverse...

Same as swapping wires for fuel sender when putting digidials in cable type car ??

Just a thought but maybe worth a try as removing em from multi plug isnt a major job

• 1 month later...

Hi fellow temp gauge sufferers!!!! Don't know if this will help any of you, but on my son's "X" reg Finesse estate he has been playing and found that

if he starts from cold, the temp gauge indicates ok. If he then stops the engine and then re-starts while hot, the temp gauge goes to max then goes back down to zero and stays there. If, when starting from hot, he starts moving and then switches off and then back on and "drops the clutch" and lo and behold, the gauge indicates properly!!!!!!! Don't anyone DARE ask me why or how but it does!! Try it and see and let me know if it works for you.

BTW we ran another wire from the second temp sensor to the gauge wire on the digital dash.

Good luck!