Call of Duty - Black Ops

smithyandco

Looks like a Special Ops version of Modern Warfare 2... Which I guess is kinda the point.

Loved the stealthy bits of Modern Warfare 1 and 2 so I can't wait for a full game stealthy bits with a bit of arse kicking on the side. :cheers:

Out 9th November 2010 according to the publishers :thumb:

On my Christmas list! :thumb:

i didn't want to go that far either - i was on the dole due to redundancy and had a shite time sleeping so i thought i'd go do my shopping at 11 and then pick it up on the way out but when i got there, the que was already 20 odd people long so fucked the shopping off as i knew the store was only getting 50 copies for each console type haha

Late night shopping can be good... You didn't used to get ID'd at Tesco on self-service at 11pm!

Heaves of underage drinkers just pouring in buying cheap cider and Vodka :pancake:

I wonder if this CoD will involve Kinect in anyway? :P

I thought they stopped sellin booze at 10?

I can't be cheered wi cod anymore! Mw2 just seemed lacking?

I thought they stopped sellin booze at 10?

Dependant on the size of the store and their licence back then is what we were told...

But this was back when self service didn't bother about age restricted products and you didn't need to 'Chip & Pin' your card or sign anything... you just swiped any old debit/credit card and it would take it! :pancake:

• 4 weeks later...

Brand new trailer showing multiplayer / online play.

They cram quite a lot into the 1:25..

Typically, as with previous COD games produced by Treyarch, the maps look wide and open. Hopefully, the number of people sat in corners will be reduced.

So what things would you want to see added/removed in Black Ops, based on previous games in the COD series?

More open maps.

Keep the objective based games (Search and Destroy, Domination, Capture the Flag, etc)

Gun balance was perfect in MW2

No deathstreaks, no grenade launchers - well, at least not the ability to equip them with dangerclose/scavenger/one man army.

Edited by Brown

• 4 weeks later...

Multi-player overview

Summary of multiplayer info

No stopping power, juggernaut, one man army, commando or danger close.

Killstreaks will not count toward your killstreaks (ie, using air support will not count towards a higher killstreak reward, only actual gun/equipment kills will)

No deathstreaks

Shotguns return to 'primary' weapon slot. Only

New game types

Custom weapon camos, facepaints, character uniforms, clan badges/emblems

You earn 'cod points' which are like in-game cash that you use to buy weapons. This replaces 'levelling up' to earn certain weapons.

Further multi-player info (courtesy of IkOn @ Cod4boards)

• Vehicles will return, but they will be very different than those in Call of Duty: World at War.
  • Co-Op is going to be four-player online stand-alone – a unique experience to the single-player. It also supports two-player split-screen.
  • There is going to be a "Barebones" playlist which removes things like perks, attachments, killstreaks, etc.
  • Treyarch is considering releasing a beta-build test, and has hinted that it is likely.
  • Matchmaking is being changed so that it is easier for friends to play together.
  • Some campaign levels will be based off of multiplayer maps instead of the typical vice-versa. This is because some multiplayer maps were made before the campaign was finalized.
  • Create-a-Class 5.0
  • Host migration from MW2 will be included.
  • Improved Server browser.
  • PC version will have an anti-cheat program named Punkbuster.
  • The customized killstreaks will return, but the game-ending Tactical Nuke will not. Kills earned from killstreak rewards will not count towards increasing a player's killstreak.
  • The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 perk 'Commando' is not expected to return.
  • The PC version of the game will feature dedicated servers.
  • Gun & Emblem customization (324 to choose from). You can etch your clan tag on the back of your gun, shape your sight and even change the color of the sight. You can do the same with your emblem.
  • Players now have the ability to "dolphin dive".
  • A new theater mode has been implemented and you can use a lot of features such as managing segments, adding transitions and even uploading your clip.
  • No longer will you unlock guns, attachments, perks, etc through leveling up. In BO, you will acquire "CP" or CODPoints which acts as in-game currency which you can buy weapons, perks, attachments, outfits, etc with.
  • Dual Wielding will make it's return.
  • Combat Training Mode allows for new players to get acquainted with online play vs'ing Bots. It has a totally separate ranking system from regular MP.
  • You can buy "contracts" (which are timed challenges) with your CP to earn even more CP with better rewards for more difficult contracts.
  • Pro Perks have made their return.
  • Perk in Slot 1 will effect how your character looks.
  • Max level is 50 and there is a Prestige Mode.
  • New Game Mode called "Wager Match" which contains 4 FFA playlists in which you can bet your CP against other players with the top 3 scorers being "In the Money" and the rest gaining 0. Playlists as follows:

- One in the Chamber: Everyone spawns with a pistol with 1 bullet and 3 lives. If you get a kill, you take your enemies bullet and can keep shooting. If you miss, you then have to use a knife.

- Sticks and Stones: Everyone spawns with a Crossbow, Ballistic Knife and Tomahawk. The catch in this gametype is if you are hit by a Tomahawk, you are bankrupted.

- Gun Game: Everyone starts with a pistol and with every kill, your weapon will progress to the next level. The first player who progresses through all the weapons wins the Gun Game. Look out though, if you are knifed, you are knocked down a level.

- Shapshooter - Everyone will spawn with the same randomly selected weapon. You used that gun for a fixed amount of time and only that time and then everyone will get switched out to the next weapon. With each kill, you will earn a perk and eventually a scoring multiplier.

Killstreaks

• 3 – Spy Plane - Shows enemy on mini-map (can be shot down).
  • 3 – RC XD - Remote control car strapped with explosives (unlimited time and detonate yourself).
  • 4 – Counter Spy Plane $1600 - Temporarily disables enemy mini-map.
  • 4 – Sam Turret $1600 - Airdrop a place-able SAM turret that destroys enemy aircraft.
  • 5 – Care Package - Airdrop a random killstreak or ammo crate.
  • 5 – Napalm Strike - Airstrike that covers an area in Napalm.
  • 6 – Sentry Gun $3200 - Airdrop a place-able Sentry gun.
  • 6 – Mortar Team - Target 3 locations to bombard with Mortar strikes.
  • 7 – Attack Helicopter - Call in a support Helicopter.
  • 7 – Valkyrie Rockets $4000 - Launcher with remote controlled rockets.
  • 8 – BlackBird $4500 -
  • 8 – Rolling Thunder $4500
  • 9 - Chopper Gunner $5000
  • 11 – Attack Dogs $6000
  • 11 Gunship $6000

Gametypes

• Team Deathmatch
  • Free For All
  • One in the Chamber (Wager Match)
  • Sticks & Stones (Wager Match)
  • Sharpshooter (Wager Match)
  • Gun Game (Wager Match)
  • Capture the Flag
  • Demolition
  • Domination
  • Headquarters
  • Search and Destroy
  • Sabotage

Maps

• Fuel
  • Summit
  • Radiation
  • Slaughterhouse
  • Launch
  • Cracked

Perks

Tier 1

• Lightweight: This allows you to move faster, but how fast depends on the weapons mobility.
    Pro: This gives you the chance to aim faster after sprinting.
  • Scavenger: Pick up ammo from fallen enemies. Replenish lethal grenades.
    Pro: Doubles your ammo with extra magazines.
  • Ghost: Undetectable by the spy plane and Blackbird.
    Pro: The enemy won't see your name or a red cross-hair when targeting you.
  • Flak Jacket: Reduces explosive damage.
  • Hardline: Killstreaks require 1 less kill.

Tier 2

• Hardened: This gives your weapon increased bullet penetration. Works just like the FMJ attachment from Modern Warfare 2.
    Pro: ?
  • Scout: Increases the time you can steady a weapons scope. This is very useful with sniper rifles.
  • Steady Aim: Significantly increases hip fire accuracy. This should be used with the Dual Wield attachment, since Dual Wield prevents you from aiming down on the sights.
  • Sleight of Hand: Cuts the weapons reload time in half. This should be familiar to Call of Duty veterans. Useful with light machine guns since they have long reload times.
    Pro: Allows you to aim faster. This halves the time it takes to aim down the sight.
  • Warlord: Bling returns from Modern Warfare 2 with a new name. This allows you to equip 2 attachments to your primary weapon.
    Pro: Allows you to equip 2 attachments to your primary and secondary weapon.

Tier 3

• Marathon: Extends your sprint time. Marathon does not increase sprint speed or give you unlimited sprint.
  • Ninja: Makes your footsteps silent, thus giving you a powerful stealth advantage.
  • Second Chance: Allows you to survive a normal death. You will drop to the ground and pull out your handgun. Second Chance ends after 10 seconds or if you take a single hit from the enemy, and in both cases, you will die.
    Pro: You can use your equipment as well as your handgun.
  • Hacker: This works like SitRep from Modern Warfare 2. Hacker allows you to detect enemy explosives and equipment like Tactical Insertions, Camera Spikes, Jammers, etc.
    Pro: Allows you to booby trap enemy Care Packages and turn enemy killstreaks and equipment friendly. For example Sentry Guns, Claymores, SAM Turrets, etc.
  • Tactical Mask: Significantly reduces the effects of flashbangs and concussion grenades.

Ghost & Ninja for me

Yep, without 'Stopping Power', a lot of players are probably going to opt for 'Ghost'.. Treyarch realised this and nerfed it.

Unlike in MW2 where ColdBlooded takes you right off the map, and makes you invisible to airsupport and sentry guns, in Black Ops, only the UAV and 'Blackbird' can't see you.

The game looks a LOT more balanced, and the guns have idle sway.. not like in MW2 when you can spray across the map with an ACR and it doesn't even move