Show / Roll cages

Ginger Dave

Ive got a bolt in show cage in my car at the minute but i haven't bolted it down yet was technically it's not "fitted" to the car so do i have to declaire it to my insurance company?

because a bloke in the pub who works for a insurance company told me it would add 40% onto my premium "as you are more likely to roll your car if you have a roll cage" . . . . well thats what he said and he's a sound bloke and not the type to make random crap up so im going to take his word for it.

Anyone able to show some light on this matter for me? i would be most thankful :cheers:

yeah becasue insurance companies feel if youve got a roll cage you drive it like you stole it and i.e. even if you Upgrade your brakes they see it as why do you need better brakes it must be because you speed. its ridiculous but there are different companies who see this like you spend money on your car so it your more likely to be a careful driver but they are very hard to come by

I can see where their coming from but my point is: it's not fitted/attached to the car so therefore its not part of the car so do i need to tell them about it?? cus surely if its not fitted then its just "cargo" so it would be the same as if i had my laptop in the car or something?? :P . . . possible loop hole??? :ninja:

There is truth in what he says most insurers see mods as a way of loading premiums except for the few companies who see it as a reflection of a genuine enthusiam about the car.

From an insurance point of view fitting a cage sends a message about the sort of person who is going to be driving it. I know that is stereotyping but that is the reality of how they work. Look at it from their point of view if someone wants to fit a show cage which has no functional purpose what do you think that says to them.

A lot of insurance companies won't insure you at all if you have a cage in I know when I enquired with my insurers about fitting a proper cage in my track car they wouldn't offer insurance if I put one in and I'm with a mod friendly company.

Also undeclared mods are a potential minefield if you need to make a claim it is likely to render your policy void and leave you liable.

Also if you had a crash with a lose cage the consequences are dire in terms of your's and others safety and is likely to have an effect on whether you would still have a licence. If it is a show cage it serves no real purpose and for the reasons above it's a liability if lose and undeclared.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but you did ask and I believe in giving honest opinions.

It will put your insurance up, but probably not by as much as you think, you need to find a modification friendly insurer. 40% could be right with some insurers, but not all. My company load around £15% for a 'cage.

The reason it will go up is not because insurers think you will drive more agressively with the cage fitted, it is because they have claims stats to prove that cars fitted with cages are claimed on more frequently. Coupled with the fact that the cage will spread the enery of the collision around your chassis which could result in more damage than would have been there without the cage fitted and also personal injury claims from limbs hitting exposed parts of the cage. You can understand why so few insurers wish to insure 'caged cars.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

if you crash take it out

:nutter: