how to do detailing??

rs2k2008

Keep seeing these threads about and would love to be able to do something similar. What im looking for is a good in depth guide and some help, i know there are some highly skilled people on here.

I have a jet wash with a snow foam but struggle to get a good ratio with it and the water, i aint got loads of cash to spend so not looking for £500 wax but wouldnt mind something better then auto glym sr. And how do u learn to machine polish?

Keep seeing these threads about and would love to be able to do something similar. What im looking for is a good in depth guide and some help, i know there are some highly skilled people on here.

I have a jet wash with a snow foam but struggle to get a good ratio with it and the water, i aint got loads of cash to spend so not looking for £500 wax but wouldnt mind something better then auto glym sr. And how do u learn to machine polish?

Time & patience! :)

Is it a foam lance you have or a detergent bottle that came with the pw? Depending on the foam you use etc too... I use Valet pro PH - I put roughly an ince in the bottle and top it up with water, I get 2 or 3 cars out of that mix.

A good wax for all colours that is cheap enough for anyone is Chemical Guys xxx. I have a couple of £50+ waxes but I mostly use Poorboys Natty + Blue (Very good, easy to apply and is only £13)

If you have a dark car I would suggest washing, claying, a coat or 2 of Poorboys blackhole then a wax over the top... Unless you have a machine.

Machine polishing for me was self taught but there are places that do courses.

Machine polishing isnt easy at all, it takes alot of time and effort to master and its really easy to do damage. All aspects of detailing take time and patience to become proficient at, and so much of it comes down to your own technique and how you make it work, which is why there isnt any sort of indepth guide to detailing.

As for waxes, they aren't magical, and more expensive waxes wont make that much difference to the untrained eye, even to trained eyes, there isnt often a massive difference. I have had fantastic results using Collinite 915, which isnt a boutique wax by any means, my second favourite wax is Megs #16, which is only £12/13. Its all down to the prep, cleansing the surface and working the polish well.

And, for alot of cases, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is amazing, its a must have for me.

• 1 month later...

Having had a go with snow foam I think its over rated IMO. Prefer a 2 bucket technique with a wash mitt and good car wash

clay its amazing stuff., something like Bilt Hamber Auto Clay

and I used Collinite 476 today, its cheap (£13 - ebay) and easy to use with good results (thanks to Trig for the recommendation)

A bucket of water and a sponge.

????? is the thread its how to ruin your car!

Yawn.

£13 is a bargain John. Its a massively durable wax, double your layers when its applied and washing is effortless for at least 6 months. I have Colli 915 in the collection, I use it mostly for wheels and door shuts, use 476/915 on door shuts and its good for nearly a year.

Snow foam has its uses, its a great prewash on really mucky cars and can give a touchless wash if you have a well prepped car and a good technique.

And anyone looking for clay, Ive just bought a Clay Magic kit from www.cleanyourcar.co.uk, a big clay bar, good for a couple of cars, with a bottle of clay lube, for £15. I know the clay is good, Im yet to try the lube, its a good value kit though.

915 is more expensive, has more carnauba, marginly less durable, marginly better finish.

To be honest, I wouldnt buy 915 over 476, for a fancier wax I would look towards Dodo Juice, which is why I have Supernatural in my box.

Having had a go with snow foam I think its over rated IMO. Prefer a 2 bucket technique with a wash mitt and good car wash

and I used Collinite 476 today, its cheap (£13 - ebay) and easy to use with good results (thanks to Trig for the recommendation)

my dad washes his escos with a bucket and a sponge, i wouldnt really call that 'ruined' lol

its just after that what makes the paint work pop!

my dad washes his escos with a bucket and a sponge, i wouldnt really call that 'ruined' lol

So you think lol.

Sorry I cant comment on the rest, I dont really understand it?

Didnt he have it mopped a few months back? Poor washing technique will only inflict the swirls all over it again and in a relatively short time it will look like it needs mopping again.