dampness in passenger foot well

mrfixit

i have some dampness in the passenger foot well i have check the matrix but there seems to be no leeks from it ie i have taken of the plate as to taken out the two screws and remove it and check the bottom of the heater box the damp seems to be only on the floor not on the sides or up the bulk head or across the tunnel any help would be appreciated thanks

You can also get corrosion and holes under the battery tray. You can tell if it's the heater matrix if there is antifreeze in the water on the floor. Put a white tissue paper on it to pick up some water and see what colour it is.
the water is clear dont smell of antifreeze/no colour i will check the tray but would that not make the the wall wet as well

stu

You can get water ingress from the main wiring loom run through the inner arch and bulkhead grommet.

its all dry up the m8

it seems that its only on the floor

would condension from a hole do this .i had a big problem from the rear bolt that holds the wishbone on the bolt had rounded off so there was no way to get it out so i cut a hole in the floor and through the chassis box section to get to the bolt i had to remove the sound deadner of the floor there was a set of vent so cut through them .could this be the problem thank for reading john

would condension from a hole do this .i had a big problem from the rear bolt that holds the wishbone on the bolt had rounded off so there was no way to get it out so i cut a hole in the floor and through the chassis box section to get to the bolt i had to remove the sound deadner of the floor there was a set of vent so cut through them .could this be the problem thank for reading john

If you didn't seal it up afterwards then probably

If you didn't seal it up afterwards then probably

no i did'nt that my next job to weld the holes up and seal it over thanks for your help m8 its always good to have a second opinion

Edited by mrfixit

when I originally bought my current mk5b off Phil on ere it was suffering with bad dampness in the passenger footwell, it was particularly annoying as it was winter and the inside of the screen would frost aswell as the outside overnight and while warming it in the morning it would be like monsoon rain inside the car.

I checked everything, bulkhead grommet, window and door seals, any signs of rot and even the heater matrix (which is often the culprit) and found absolutly nothing, missus hosed the car with me inside looking for leaks.....and nothing.

after a great deal of time and frustration I used a powerful wet and dry hoover to suck out the water in the carpet then a industrial butane heater (I was uptil recently working in the construction trade) to literally toast the inside of the car.

after that nothing, no water, no dampness, no dodgy mould spores appearing overnight, I could only conclude that at some point water had gotten into the car through an open window and since then had been repeatedly condensing and freezing and condensing continuously, another clue was the fact that due to my car being parked on a slight incline (from drivers side to passenger) when the water condensed again it dripped straight onto the dash and ran over and down to the passenger footwell.

Edited by shawdreamer

do u have a sun roof? if so drain tube runs down a pillar and could be split and leaking in

yes m8 i will give it a look in the morning thanks for that idea

when I originally bought my current mk5b off Phil on ere it was suffering with bad dampness in the passenger footwell, it was particularly annoying as it was winter and the inside of the screen would frost aswell as the outside overnight and while warming it in the morning it would be like monsoon rain inside the car.

I checked everything, bulkhead grommet, window and door seals, any signs of rot and even the heater matrix (which is often the culprit) and found absolutly nothing, missus hosed the car with me inside looking for leaks.....and nothing.

after a great deal of time and frustration I used a powerful wet and dry hoover to suck out the water in the carpet then a industrial butane heater (I was uptil recently working in the construction trade) to literally toast the inside of the car.

after that nothing, no water, no dampness, no dodgy mould spores appearing overnight, I could only conclude that at some point water had gotten into the car through an open window and since then had been repeatedly condensing and freezing and condensing continuously, another clue was the fact that due to my car being parked on a slight incline (from drivers side to passenger) when the water condensed again it dripped straight onto the dash and ran over and down to the passenger footwell.

this is also quite possible as its not a lot of water it dryed out over night with just 2 large bags of silica

i found it the little tish .it coming from the top part of the bulkhead just above the brake servo bolts through the sealant that aint there ie about a 1 inch its dripping down into a box section running a long then running down the corner . now all i got to do is find out were its getting in and seal the other side

thanks for all your peps :cheers:

Edited by mrfixit