do i need planning permission??

karl

anybody know anything about planning permission, as in will i need it....

basically i live in a terrest with a pee farting garden. at the end of my house, i have an outhouse. the size you'd expect to see a toilet in when you open the door. then after that, its about 4.5mx3m of garden. then thats it. so thinking of basically turning the rest of the garden into a shed/garage,as being as we dont use it for anything else.

thank you please!

I would think so Karl yes. But why not ask at your local council? If you build it on EVO say so im afraid it wont hold up when they tell you to tear the shed down lol?

Scenario:

Council official: "Im terribly sorry sir but you will have to dismantle your shiny new shed/garage"

Karl: "Im afraid your wrong because cossybarry on EVO told me clearly it was ok"

:innocent:

if its shed high(ish) forgot how high ..you can build as big as you want as long as you can take it down .. i got one of them galvanized shed things ..13' x 10' someone in the same estate put up one the size of a garage with no planning

if its shed high(ish) forgot how high ..you can build as big as you want as long as you can take it down .. i got one of them galvanized shed things ..13' x 10' someone in the same estate put up one the size of a garage with no planning

That doesnt mean you dont need permission, it just means the council aren't aware, if they were aware they may want to have words, or it may be completely fine.

Best bet is to ask your council, state it's dimensions, construction type, can it be taken apart easily etc...

That doesnt mean you dont need permission, it just means the council aren't aware, if they were aware they may want to have words, or it may be completely fine.

Best bet is to ask your council, state it's dimensions, construction type, can it be taken apart easily etc...

should have stated... they asked and no planning was needed ...but as has been said each council has different rules

the general rule concerning non/semi-permenant structures (such as out the box galvo sheds and the like) is that planning permission isnt required unless your structures height exceeds the height of your second floor on your property (or the eves/gutter height of a bungalow) or 2.5m in other cases and that the structure can be dismantled on request and does not have permenant foundations or footings.

many modern concervatories often break this rule when the owner has them construced with pointed roofs and dont realise they require planning permission for the height.

its worth note that tho generally the planning permission outlines are more or less the same acrosss the country, some local councils will operate slight variants to the guidelines and its ALLWAYS a good idea to check before building.

When I looked into this the rules with my council were...

Outhouse must:

- Be no taller than 8ft

- Be no more than 50% of the land

- Be no closer to the main building by X metres

(to not require planning)

Can't remember the specifics but it'll all be on your local council website.

Edited by Stu

Thanks for the replies!

Peewee- I'm not that silly, I will be contacting them, but just thought I'd see if anyone could tell me in plain English before i try talking to someone about it. I've seen that planning portal site, but again half of it don't make sense to me.