air intake location, thoughts please

alexc1983

ok, been messing around with car and realised that if the air is drawn from behind bulkhead next to wiper motor,

the flat spot that seems to be typical zetec e(around 4800- 5krpm) has been cured and car continues to pull up to limiter. Obviously means a much shorter intake, made it long enough to just include MAF. And also needed a cut away in plastic part of bulkhead for intake pipe to throttle body.

Im not claiming in any way that power has been increased but it definatly has a notable effect. However a slight loss of torque further down rev range circa 2-2.5 k

i also assume air is much cooler drawn from this position

All you're doing by changing this pipework is upsetting the calibration of the MAF so the fuelling will no longer be correct during one or more driving conditions. Any perceived improvement by doing this will be nothing more than placebo. Believe it or not, Ford do know what they're doing.

All you're doing by changing this pipework is upsetting the calibration of the MAF so the fuelling will no longer be correct during one or more driving conditions. Any perceived improvement by doing this will be nothing more than placebo. Believe it or not, Ford do know what they're doing.

oh i agree, i have reverted everything back to std airbox as i wasnt happy with the loss of torque lower down rev range, however when i did re-locate it i did include the maf in the pipework.

It definatly wasn't a placebo effect, the top end was way better than std.