Any electricians on here?

eetaylog

What are the regs on having mixed colour coding wiring in your home? I recently ran a spur in one room and lighting in our loft, both with modern brown/blue/earth cable, though my house has older british standard red and black.

Ive asked google but its shrugging its shoulders.

What are the regs on having mixed colour coding wiring in your home? I recently ran a spur in one room and lighting in our loft, both with modern brown/blue/earth cable, though my house has older british standard red and black.

NEW wiring has to use the new colours, but I've never come across any regulation that says that if you work on an old system you have to bring it all up to current specs. HOWEVER, if you have added a new circuit to your existing ring then you have to add a RCD if your consumer unit doesn't already have one.

i think the old stuff is fine but anything new or replacing old must be of current modern standards

correct.

I believe the now modern Brown:live, Blue:Neutral, Yellow/Green: Earth was introduced the year of my birth 1977

and later on adapted as the set colours for modern day permenant wiring (something to do with coming inline with the rest of Europe).

ANY Permenant or non-Permenant wiring used in the modern day home enviroment HAS to be the the above setup, however that doesnt effect existing wiring that predates the European regulation so its not uncommon atall to find mixed wiring systems in older houses and by no means ilegal to find such aslong as the newer wiring doesnt contravene the modern reg's

Edited by shawdreamer

Cheers everyone.

NEW wiring has to use the new colours, but I've never come across any regulation that says that if you work on an old system you have to bring it all up to current specs. HOWEVER, if you have added a new circuit to your existing ring then you have to add a RCD if your consumer unit doesn't already have one.

My consumer unit has an RCD so i should be ok in that case.