swapping the inlet with exhust to get more cold air

Mad Man Measures

I have been thinking about doing an ITB conversion but having the throttle bodies at the back of the engine isn’t really an ideal place. So I was thinking about putting the throttle bodies on the front and moving the exhaust manifold to the back. I know I would need to change the valves as the exhaust valves and inlet valves are different sizes. And obviously change the cam timing and move a fair few bits about

Has anyone done this? And would it be worth it to get more cold air?

errrr the normal zetec engine isn't capable to do what you require unfortunately but if you can install say for example a 1.7 puma engine or racing puma engine in the car then you can be able to your throttle body idea as puma engines, mk4 and mk5 fiesta engines are designed to have the inlet at the front and the exhaust at the back!

but saying that silvertop engines do respond well to throttle bodies, a standard 2.0 zetec on tb's can achieve over 160bhp with the right management.

STU will no doubt be on here soon to answer any complicated questions!

not that it offers any advice or what not but

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae212/jordan99940/Ford%20Fair/DSCF1468.jpg

It doesn't offer much help since it's not the same engine as is in his car.

I have seen a feista with a 2.0 black top zetec who swapped exhust an inlet manifolds over so it probbly is possible just woundering if anyone knows of exsactly how it can be done an any issues doing it

I think it was a mk 1 fiesta I saw at trax on Sunday that had throttle bodies on the front. it was definitely a 2.0 black top zetec the gear box was in the usual position so he didn’t then the whole engine round. But he did have the rocker cover on back to front. I wish I had taken a picture now lol. I'm not to sure how he did it but it would mean more cold air gets to the throttle bodies. I can imagine it was rather difficult. But it got me thinking if it would be possible to do to a silver top

are you sure it was a blacktop thats not positioned like the one pictured in the fiesta??

You mean the Zetec-SE in the Fiesta?

yeah zetec-se's thats the name i was looking for lol! i'm unsure whether this is the correct term for it but are the zetec-se engines cantered??

i am sure there are better and easier ways to more bhp and response from your engine without going to that extreme. if you want more cold air can you not just pipe the cold air from the front to the bulk head ....simples.

i am a gluten for punishment but i would even go that far

Edited by spanner