Behind steering wheel

fannymould

there is a scraping noise behind my steering wheel when turning ive had the cowling off and there are 2 gold pins coming from the stalks unit and they seem to be scraping onto a black plastic ring thats on the back of the steering wheel

anyone have any ideas?

them gold pins are sprung loaded by the way

just got round to taking the column plastics off and the 2 pins are in contact with a brass ring and its starting to make an indentation so when i try to slowly turn from centre to left it has some resistance then jumps out the indentaion it has made making turning slowly and smoothly difficult if a picture would help ill try to get 1 up

Also anyone know if this plastic ring with a brass face that the pins touch is replacable or is it the whole column?

Yes the ring is replaceable. Go to a scrap yard, remove the wheel and stalks & you should be able to remove the ring. Theres connections for the horn behind it that pull off and If I remember correct theres a yellow airbag wire attached that you can follow down to behing the lower steering cowling and unplug it there. I think the yellow wire reaches around the ignition barrel.

This is all from memory so forgive me if its a little sketchy.

do the pins push in on the stalks ie sprung loaded if not faulty stalks replace both stalks and spiral cassete or squib or what ever u want to call it 20 min job tops :thumb:

He did mention the pins being spring loaded so im assuming he had found them to push in, good point though & worth checking they are not sticking. The movement should be pretty smooth retracting.