audi a3 1.8 turbo

bongo

been looking at a3's alot lately the looks and the reliability and build are really appealing to me,it would have to be a 1.8 preferably turbo,but the price im looking at is £1500 which ive seen some high mileage ones 150k plus.have seen some 1.8 with full service etc for this price but would just like your views especially on a engine with 150k plus.

thanks. marc.

been looking at a3's alot lately the looks and the reliability and build are really appealing to me,it would have to be a 1.8 preferably turbo,but the price im looking at is £1500 which ive seen some high mileage ones 150k plus.have seen some 1.8 with full service etc for this price but would just like your views especially on a engine with 150k plus.

thanks. marc.

I'm assuming its the same 1.6 engine thats fitted in the A4. In that case its a decent engine, needs to be taken care of and its not the most powerful but plenty good enough.

Before you buy, make sure you check out insurance though, it very nearly gave me a heart attack with the quotes I was getting! lol

The engines are not too bad if maintained properly but they do have some inherent flaws, particularly with the cam timing chain guides and oil strainer (chain guides wear and block the strainer causing a rattle on startup). The end result is a failed engine.

As a car they're good, I had an S3 in 2000 and loved it. I'd buy a diesel Audi though if I had the budget. The 1.9 tdi has a lot of tuning potential (speak to AmD).