Help with privately renting a house.

rs2k2008

Me and the gf are currently living in a council house and thought it was about time we moved in to a nicer house. So were looking at renting. Been looking at some prices and i can afford them, but the problem is i have had a bit of a rubbish finical past. Does this mean were out the question already? My gf has got credit status but she does not earn as much as i do. What can we do to help us with our application?

Cheers

How rubbish is your credit score? Have you obtained a credit report to see just how bad it is?

If you rent via an agency you will get credit checked most likely so it could affect you. If you rent privately (which has its own risks associated with it) then it's unlikely to matter.

I rented through an agency, if you get your missus to get credit checked and the rent come out of her bank, just make a standing order of the rent money from your bank to hers each month. Or get a joint account after you have passed the credit check and have payments taken from that and both your wages paid into it?

If your credit check fails then they will offer you an option to get a garetour, this person will basically say if you go into default with our rent they will pay it.

What you wanna go private for? You can't decorate or anything when private renting and you have a landlord and letting agency to answer to/ask.

Get on a council house swap site and get on the council list for a new place etc etc. Will work out in the long run, once your out of a council property it's ten times harder to get back into one!

What you wanna go private for? You can't decorate or anything when private renting and you have a landlord and letting agency to answer to/ask.

Get on a council house swap site and get on the council list for a new place etc etc. Will work out in the long run, once your out of a council property it's ten times harder to get back into one!

realistically, you can decorate. It's only a polite letter away....

try and do a genuine 'private' rent, from the actual owners, cutting out the greedy agents. That's what I do.

As for the council house issue, I applaud you for bettering yourself, and leaving the council houses free for low earners who genuinely need them :cheers:

I've given you alot of rubbish in the past for being the incarnation of scummy lower class council Britain. My opinion should mean little to you, but should you go through with the private rent you will earn alot of Kudo's from me, and others i imagine.

If your credit check fails then they will offer you an option to get a garetour, this person will basically say if you go into default with our rent they will pay it.

Maybe because he's fed up with being scum and looking to elevate his social standing. Council housing is ONLY for those unable to provide for themselves. as he mentions he is able to afford private renting and so should be oblidged to move forward.

Dont get me wrong, your standing of living will decrease becasue you wont be paying peanuts in rent, but you will be a better man for it. And when children come along (asumming you've not already got any) they'll be born outside the council gereration cycle - and it'll 10x better start in life.

Edited by foxdie

I've given you alot of rubbish in the past for being the incarnation of scummy lower class council Britain. My opinion should mean little to you, but should you go through with the private rent you will earn alot of Kudo's from me, and others i imagine.

Maybe because he's fed up with being scum and looking to elevate his social standing. Council housing is ONLY for those unable to provide for themselves. as he mentions he is able to afford private renting and so should be oblidged to move forward.

Dont get me wrong, your standing of living will decrease becasue you wont be paying peanuts in rent, but you will be a better man for it. And when children come along (asumming you've not already got any) they'll be born outside the council gereration cycle - and it'll 10x better start in life.

absolutely couldn't agree more.

Makes my blood boil when you see brand new cars park outside shithole council houses. If you afford to prvate rent or buy, you shouldn't be entitled to rent off the council.

So what your saying is cause someone lives in a council house they are scum, lower in the food chain and basically a much lower class of person?

So, I'm in a housing association flat, in a nice quite area, not over looked and a lot better than most places I have privately let... I pay roughly the same as when I was private letting and I do pay the resent, unlike most who depend on benefits.

Just because we like the place and the area, spend roughly the same as a private let and are actually paying money into the council etc were scum etc?

But no your right... We should private let and beter ourselves, we will pay off someone elses mortgage and give a large amount to a letting agency..

Oh yes please... Dweeb!

rent round my way is good, 450 a month gets u a 3 bedroom house with back garden drive and in a good area :) fair play to you :thumb:

Were paying more than that for a 2 bedroom flat, but of course... Were scum to society lol.

But actually I suppose your right, we should give up this place and private rent, were let a benefit person live here scrounging off the government... Or even better, a nice family of immigrants.

i'm not saying you are scum, just maybe selfish.

I private rent, I got the deal of the century if i'm honest. My work mate, who owns the same, if not mostly more than me scammed himself into housing association flat and has half the outgoings.

That flat could easily house a council tenant on 'average' earnings who'd like to better themselves slightly.

As for the scum comment, as I say, I didnt call anyone that, but it is FACT that the council areas in Northampton are the worst areas. Some don't have a bus service because of the trouble and the same estates struggle to get taxi's sent to them too....

You summarise the feelings of alot of other council tennants, that the country owes you the right to this house/flat, but no, you are wrong, YOU owe the country the responsibility to rent or buy privately!

On a side note these "immigrants" have come to this country to try and better themselves and their standard of living, which is more than i can say for those who think they are born into the right to have heavily discounted housing and benifits. I much rather a street "immgrants" who have shown aspirations to better themselves, than british people just happy to leech.

You summarise the feelings of alot of other council tennants, that the country owes you the right to this house/flat, but no, you are wrong, YOU owe the country the responsibility to rent or buy privately!

On a side note these "immigrants" have come to this country to try and better themselves and their standard of living, which is more than i can say for those who think they are born into the right to have heavily discounted housing and benifits. I much rather a street "immgrants" who have shown aspirations to better themselves, than british people just happy to leech.

I agree, the people who earn the least should be in these houses, not people who earn "not the least" but fancy cheap rent.

The scroungers are another issue, their benefit should be taken away and they should be forced back into work. But me talking aint gonna make that happen.

And if you dont like the cost of renting a 2 bed council flat where you live....move to somewhere were you can private rent a 3 bedroom house for the same price...Or get a better job, better yourself as it were.

I can't really talk since my house costs me £120 a month "rent" and 80 a month council tax... But then again I work for the right to live in this house.