Help with privately renting a house.

rs2k2008

We privately rent from the landlord in a large 2 bed flat that could house a family to be honest (old Victorian house that's been converted into 5 separate flats). It costs us £475 a month in a good postcode of the Leeds area.

Just keep looking about and make lots of viewings, don't fall in love with a property and hand over money without checking out exactly what's included in the tenancy agreement and make sure everything works.

We found its best to view the property's in the evenings if possible when the other tenants were home so that we can judge the parking and noise situation.

Me & my mam are renting

They do do credit reports, but they care more about what you currently earn, the wanted bank statements and pay slips from me and my mam from months ago and wanted to know everything we spent and why.

Ive just been through it all just waiting for the landlord to finish the new kitchen and decorate but they dident want anything like like just a form for general things like prev employers and addresses and current work and they just gave work a call to see if i worked there and how much my salary was

Me & my mam are renting

They do do credit reports, but they care more about what you currently earn, the wanted bank statements and pay slips from me and my mam from months ago and wanted to know everything we spent and why.

Ive just been through it all just waiting for the landlord to finish the new kitchen and decorate but they dident want anything like like just a form for general things like prev employers and addresses and current work and they just gave work a call to see if i worked there and how much my salary was

Some are mor picky than others, we had to get 'vetted' (?) aswell as references AND phonecalls to both previous employers

the housing 'checks' vary from area to area! all the examples below were privately/through an agency

when i was in student (cheap) housing, i just signed a contract and gave my bank details.

when i moved into an appartment in a bit of a swanky place, they did so many checks. This took around 2 weeks to do! We had to earn 3 x the rent amount each month. at this time, i didnt so had to get a guarantor - just to say that if i/we fail to pay, they will cover it!

when in a normal family house, they credit checked, all they checked was that i/we earned enough to cover rent. They did say that we had to earn 3 x the rent per year. Guarantor would have been needed if this amount was not earnt

moved to a 3 bed appartment in London, they made sure we earnt 3 x the rent each year

moved to a 4 bed house in London and they just checked we earnt at least enough to cover the rent. We wanted us both on the books but when checks were done, the Mrs didnt earn enough to cover half the rent so another credit check was done with the whole 'amount' in my name

it can be and has been made complicated by agents. ring a few places and ask, as in my experience, they could check for everything and more or absolutely nothing

its eye watering the rent i pay compared to how much some people are paying - thats London though :( i miss the £180 a month (Manchester) from 3 x people in a 3 x bed house - good ol' students!

Well were looking about £600-£750 to spend a month on rent, dont want to go over that. So if we do come back with a rubbish credit history and we can provide a garuntor (sp) we should still be able to go ahead with the move? My dad owns 2 houses would he be accepted?

Odd one, but if he has 2 houses could you not stay in 1 for a while to build up a deposit? Buying is a far far better way.

Well were looking about £600-£750 to spend a month on rent, dont want to go over that. So if we do come back with a rubbish credit history and we can provide a garuntor (sp) we should still be able to go ahead with the move? My dad owns 2 houses would he be accepted?

Odd one, but if he has 2 houses could you not stay in 1 for a while to build up a deposit? Buying is a far far better way.

Not really no, he lives in one and the other one is a long term tennant, and i wouldnt want to mess that up for him just so i can save a few Ks and move out within a year.