Paint problems

mclovin9091

Ok its a vectra, lets get past that!

Here is a pic of the rear of my car, i have sprayed one part can you tell what. (Its not where the vectra badge was)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/mac9091/Car%20Stuff/Painting4.jpg

Now its a good match so i cracked on with:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/mac9091/Car%20Stuff/PICT0475.jpg

However it now looks like this

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/mac9091/Car%20Stuff/Painting5.jpg

Both times i applied 3 primer coats @ 30 min intervals,

followed by 4 coats of star silver, then 3 coats of laquer, can someone tell me what went wrong? Apart from the dodgy lines now on show due to the paint being a diffrent colour.

Any ideas?

could be anything from,

too much moisture while applying

too cold while applying

paint inconsitantly mixed

inproper prep to area

the list go's on and on.

maybe if you described your methods and location it could be narrowed down.

washed one sode of the car, sanded down area, used tack cloth to remove anything left, applied 3 primer coats @ 30 min intervals, left for a further half hour after 3rd coat before applying thin layer of colour, 4 coats with 30 min intervals between coats, flattened after last coat then a couple of layers of laquer.

The 1st pic was taken about 3 in the afternoon, car ready to be painted, 2nd pic was taken just after i had washed the car (before the 1st pic) 3rd pic was taken about half six before the coats of laquer were applied.

As for you list above i would probably go with 'too much moisture' (although both parts were done outside) as being out in Cyprus its definetly not cold, the paint was from a can shaken the same way for both parts of the car that have been done. 'Inproper prep to the area' are you referring to metal/plastic, as the part that i sprayed 1st was the BOOT LIP. Can't tell can you, thats why i was confident in spraying such a large area for such a small defect.

Cheers for the advise.

1 wtf? in what way did u think a square would look better than a dent?

2/ u should of flatted the whole pannel back painted the area in ( not a mask square just a blow in ) the re laquered the whole area then left it over night flat it bk and polish it up.

3 poss looks worse due to the square on ya pannel. :nutter:

paint type may also be a issue but generally high moisture and low humidity levels often cause paint to dry irregularly and develop deeper layers of colour in random patterns & areas (which is how yous appears).

what paint are you using?

cellulose.

acrylic.

2k.

full sythetic.

???

chances are its celulose being out a can and that assumed you find cellulose is quite tempremental when it comes to enviromental conditions during application.

Acrylicimo is a great deal less reactive and harder than cellulose during application.

See what happened to me here, it maybe the same issue you had.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/kwikfix/Work%20in%20progress/LockHandleRepairRust/DSCF2179.jpg

Now I had sprayed multiple larger areas without problems but here I ended up with a square patch.

I had masked it off but wrong.

I should off rolled the tape so that the paint feathered in even pulling the tape back a little more to blend in. After this it needs flatting off with fine wet n dry.

alternatively....

you could have left it as it was...

put a hole punch through the original dent...

and just said you'd drove though moss side shouting "prince naseem is a big nosed, jugged eared ponce"

great party talking piece.

1 wtf? in what way did u think a square would look better than a dent?

2/ u should of flatted the whole pannel back painted the area in ( not a mask square just a blow in ) the re laquered the whole area then left it over night flat it bk and polish it up.

3 poss looks worse due to the square on ya pannel. :nutter:

1. Look at the pics :glare:

2. Yes could have but then the whole panel would be totally different in colour

3. Yeah does look worse but as mentioned before the boot lip match was near on perfect which considering the car is silver and the pros find it difficult to get a perfect match, i was happy that it was nearly the same colour.

See what happened to me here, it maybe the same issue you had.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/kwikfix/Work%20in%20progress/LockHandleRepairRust/DSCF2179.jpg

Now I had sprayed multiple larger areas without problems but here I ended up with a square patch.

I had masked it off but wrong.

I should off rolled the tape so that the paint feathered in even pulling the tape back a little more to blend in. After this it needs flatting off with fine wet n dry.

Yours isn't as obvious, but can see that there are (what appears to be) bubbles under the paint.

Shawdreamer: Can't say that its low humidity out here, normally about 60-70% humidity this time of year and 30-35oC.

Will sand down and try again, but will do inside a hanger this time to see if there is any difference.

Cheers for the input, helpful and not so helpful. :)

Edited by mclovin9091

if you are painting the same colour then you dont need to mask off, part from the ares that you dont want to paint. makes it easyer to blend it with the rest of the panle

Ok its a vectra, lets get past that!

Here is a pic of the rear of my car, i have sprayed one part can you tell what. (Its not where the vectra badge was)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/mac9091/Car%20Stuff/Painting4.jpg

Now its a good match so i cracked on with:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/mac9091/Car%20Stuff/PICT0475.jpg

However it now looks like this

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/mac9091/Car%20Stuff/Painting5.jpg

Both times i applied 3 primer coats @ 30 min intervals,

followed by 4 coats of star silver, then 3 coats of laquer, can someone tell me what went wrong? Apart from the dodgy lines now on show due to the paint being a diffrent colour.

Any ideas?

The best thing to do with it now is go over with some 800 wet n dry to try and get rid of most of the paint, it should make it a bit flater.

Then give the area a little wash and a wipe to get all the crud off.

Mask only around windows and any where esle you dont want the paint

Put a thin layer of primer down n wait for it too be dry.

Once the primer is dry you can then sand down to get a nice FLAT coat.

Spray the colour onto the primer and allow to dry.

Use some 1200 wet and dry on the colour to get rid of runs.

Wash the area once again.

This should give you a nice flat fin.

Then you can add laq

I'd flat the paint u have put on with something like thousand wet flattin paper once it's flat get some 2000 wet flatten paper and flat the quarter down once that's done mask window door bumper rear light now apply silver over repair once cover blend it out (never flat basecoat then apply laquer it won't work) right leave to dry tack it off now apply laquer once ur happy with it after last coat of laquer buy a can of fade out spray use to fade edges of laquer out so will polish in easier,if colour is off to door flat half the door blend silver down edge of door then apply laquer in usual way and fade out spray leave over night and polish next day,but do this in doors as you said if your in cyprus then u did it outside the it could of been panel temp meaning it was to hot try doin it Inside in shade and wait for panel to cool down first!!!!!

cheers for the advise guys, My problem now is that if i do spray the whole panel and for whatever reason it turns out to be the same colour, what would i do then? AS i would now have a whole panel a totally different colour to the rest of the car. I don't really want to end up spraying the whole car.

cheers for the advise guys, My problem now is that if i do spray the whole panel and for whatever reason it turns out to be the same colour, what would i do then? AS i would now have a whole panel a totally different colour to the rest of the car. I don't really want to end up spraying the whole car.

If your only dointhe quarter panel you should have enough room to blend colour in keeping away from boot lid u may need to blend some colour into door but that should be all it's just matter colour away from bootlid clear laquer won't change it as it's just a colourless paint....