know any good hiding places for a man who made a mistake?

stevmo3691

My dad is need of a good hiding place at the moment as my mum wants to kill him

the pug 307 he bought her he said he did an hpi on and that it was clear but whilst i was doing odd jobs on it a bit of paint fell off and i took badges off boot only too find the worlds worst re-spray. hadnt cleaned all the old glue off before painting and put the badges on (not straight) before laquer had dried so looks crap

i did further investigatin on the car and found boot leaks and found a nice big weld on the back. i then looked where the paint had come off and found filler over a weld, i found evidence of another weld down by the sill. had the entire o/side rear 3/4 replaced and badly painted aswell as other bits underneath and i did one of those my text check things and came back as a cat D in feb 05 (less than a year old)

also belive MOT to be hooky as wiper blades would have failed, lack of brake light bulb would have failed, no number plate lights would have failed.

also bloke dad bought it off promised to post the service history and owners manual as we have no idea how to make auto lights work.

still not recieved it. said her serviced recently but oil is quite old and air filter is blacker than the paintwork.

mums not happy and dad is banned from finding any more cars for her. she wants rid of it as she's old fashioned and a cat D means car was write off and shouldnt be touched as could be badly repaired (in this case badly painted)

actually, anyone got advice as to what we should do with this french turd which i suspect may have a leak in the head gasket and is leaking gearbox oil and fan doesnt come on for rad so temp guage gets too 'oh my god its f***in hot in here'

mums gone back to using the ars(e)tra till something done as at very least it needs most of the car re-sprayed with some bits done properly, work on engine and gearbox (2.0 auto) and has no history and service indicator was reset as says another 15600 miles till next service due

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think personally your mum is quite right refusing to drive that car. Dodgy paintwork iffy welding likely a dodgy MOT, sounds like a possible deathtrap. Why did your dads check come back clean & yours different then?

Take it back & demand your money back, tell him if he refuses you will look deeper into this cars real history before bringing in the law.

was the car bought through a garage, if so get trading standards involved, if bought private find you nearest government test station (like the ones they use for HGV drivers and the like on the motorways,) and get them to check it, they may well impound it, but if your mum is not going to use it, at least it will be got rid of for you if a ringer, and some other poor sod wont get stiched up with it, bearing in mind if it has been welded like you say, it could kill somebody.

current plan is to take it to the local MOT place who i know are very tight on giving MOT's and re-mot it. If it fails and is therefore un-roadworthy we have a legal case against the seller.

as it stands we are nearly £3000 out of pocket for this so i am just trying to help my mum out.

If it passes an mot we will take it to a body shop to have all the repair work examined. couple of bits i found whilst nosing last night under the car shows the o/side rear towing eye to be twisted up and rusted and not a complete loop and the plastic bracket that holds fuel filler pipe still has snapped so pipe is really close to rear wheel. pipe has those usual scrap yard pen markings on it so original must have been broken in the accident.

brake flexi hose isnt secured properly and is rubbing so will need changing soon (and the mot place will likely fail that).

I did consider hiding him there dave but it would be too cold and wet :P last i saw he was hiding in the audi (another example of his latest buying brilliance)

I think it didnt come up when dad did the search as he did a free online one and would have got info i got in first text:

ST04XAR:

not insurance total loss

not stolen/recovered

no mileage discrepancies (however thats spelt)

it was second message i got that said cat D on 05/02/05 (less than a year old)

given that my dad bought it from one of those dodgy under archway body shops in london i'm not suprised there are these issues.

she also wont let dad use her car anymore so he's kind of stuffed as he's doing body work on his as a result of my brother not being able to get out of a parking space.

and for obvious reason i am some what reluctant to let him use my car, especially if its after i fit the new bumper

edit: anyone know a free way to get a full hpi report?

Edited by stevmo3691

i do wish you well at getting this sorted but it may be to no avail in my opinion. Even if this went as far as court you'd have to prove the seller knew about all these issues before he sold it to your dad. I imagine he'll just say he got it off a customer in good faith and was just selling it on. Did the seller mot it or did it just have mot left on the car?

just do a full hpi check for 19.99, don't think any of the free ones are full ones

"she wants rid of it as she's old fashioned and a cat D means car was write off and shouldnt be touched as could be badly repaired (in this case badly painted)"

Old fashioned, or sensible?

Personally I would be backing my mam is she said she didn't want to drive a death trap. Fcuk having her gravestone hanging over my head for actually letting her drive it!

get it crushed.

thats a bit drastic at this stage, as he has said, he is trying to get something back,(money wise), and as his mother has no intention of driving it, can not see any reason do that at this stage.

sorry edit, and he has said he is going to get it check out properly

Edited by ganges

"she wants rid of it as she's old fashioned and a cat D means car was write off and shouldnt be touched as could be badly repaired (in this case badly painted)"

Old fashioned, or sensible?

Personally I would be backing my mam is she said she didn't want to drive a death trap. Fcuk having her gravestone hanging over my head for actually letting her drive it!

have i missed the point where this car has been professionally checked out to conclude this car is a death trap?

another story only Steve could tell tbh :pancake: