LED household bulbs?

Craig855S

I know its a strange topic but has anyone ever tried these new LED lightbulbs for your house? I'm more than a little fed up with the flurescent U shaped ones (even the brightest are crap) and ive recently bought a normal shaped bulb (golfball style) that is the same internally to flurescents but theyre terrible aswell (ok very efficent but i cant see stuff) so im tempted to try LED ones....However, 1 phillips bayonet fit LED bulb is 29 quid!! It uses 7 watts and claims to be as bright as a conventional 40-50W bulb.

r8 mukka ya got mine frm bnq paid 13pounds 4 4 . Iv got sum blu ones n wht ones y i got blu dnt kno seemd good idea at time lol they work fine u dnt get any flickerin like u do wi Other bulbs . but i wud shop about as ur price seems a bit on minty side

Now dont get me wrong I am from yorkshire, but anybody translate this for me please :cheers:

r8 mukka ya got mine frm bnq paid 13pounds 4 4 . Iv got sum blu ones n wht ones y i got blu dnt kno seemd good idea at time lol they work fine u dnt get any flickerin like u do wi Other bulbs . but i wud shop about as ur price seems a bit on minty side

Now dont get me wrong I am from yorkshire, but anybody translate this for me please :cheers:

It says "I bought some bulbs"

init :pancake:

Am yet to buy any led gu10 bulbs cos of the cost, decent ones seem to cost anything upwards of £15. Got 4 in the bathroom 6 in the kitchen! in the middle of the bathroom we've got the main light but its not a normal bulb or tube type, its a 20-30 odd led unit in the shape of a circle

http://www.oliverlighting.co.uk/product.ph...-bathroom-light

the white one

ahhhh now i get it (not) cheers Liam, nice abbreviation

init :pancake:

is it not what, a light bulb?? :innocent:

I've tried the GU10 (50w) LED replacement bulbs... To be honest they are shockingly shite.

I'd only recommend using them in light fittings that make the room too bright... so in a quad light using 2x normal and 2x LED

And that's for decorative purposes only (stop you looking like a cheap T*at)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a light fitting for the bedroom today that uses 3 GU10s, I also bought 3 GU10s (7 quid each!)

The fitting will be getting installed by an electrician next week, but ive just tested the 3 LED bulbs in our quad kitchen light, and...they dont seem very bright, hard to say weather they will do the job since its broad daylight and quite sunny, 1 light is blue...woops (came from the same place as the others, that looks rubbish)

I think they'll be ok for the bedroom, the current light up there is beyond useless

I bought a light fitting for the bedroom today that uses 3 GU10s, I also bought 3 GU10s (7 quid each!)

The fitting will be getting installed by an electrician next week, but ive just tested the 3 LED bulbs in our quad kitchen light, and...they dont seem very bright, hard to say weather they will do the job since its broad daylight and quite sunny, 1 light is blue...woops (came from the same place as the others, that looks rubbish)

I think they'll be ok for the bedroom, the current light up there is beyond useless

You can't say I didn't warn you about the LED GU10s! :pancake:

Also... why are you getting a sparky to fit a light fitting?

1. It will cost at least double what the fitting cost for the arse scratching "Tut, tut, tut, gonna cost'ya" ignorant twàt of a moron to fit it.

2. 9/10 it's as easy as wiring a plug... just remember to turn the lights off by the fusebox (the whole fusebox if your not sure on the sparky work in your house), unscrew the old one, put the live part of the new one to either brown or red (depending on the age of the wiring), neutral to blue/black and earth to green/green & yellow stripe then screw the fitting to the ceiling.... simples!

You can't say I didn't warn you about the LED GU10s! :pancake:

Also... why are you getting a sparky to fit a light fitting?

1. It will cost at least double what the fitting cost for the arse scratching "Tut, tut, tut, gonna cost'ya" ignorant twàt of a moron to fit it.

2. 9/10 it's as easy as wiring a plug... just remember to turn the lights off by the fusebox (the whole fusebox if your not sure on the sparky work in your house), unscrew the old one, put the live part of the new one to either brown or red (depending on the age of the wiring), neutral to blue/black and earth to green/green & yellow stripe then screw the fitting to the ceiling.... simples!

I think i'll do that, I just hate DIY. Had a right laugh fitting my projector to the roof the other day.

I've used 2 white GU10 LEDs in the kitchen with 2 normal 50W GU10s, it does the job and only consumes 102W instead of the 200 it used to.

Why have they banned the sale of 60W bayonet bulbs for "green reasons" yet the power saving ones (LED and flurescant) are all rubbish and GU10 conventional bulbs are 50W (and you normally use 3 or 4 per fitting)??

Why the hell didnt phillips make these LED bulbs 3W instead of 1W? 3W is still very green and will actually enable me to see.