Ex army service men bein homeless

Andyb0127

My dad served 20yrs in the Army. When he left he was told he was not entitled to a council house and was not entitled to any benifits til 6 months later. We had to stay at a relatives house for a good few months til his payout was sorted. He went to back to college at 45, then became a manager a year later, and then owning his own college another year later.

Was a bit harsh not being entitled to the house or benifits, but things worked out better in the long run.

I dont think anybody that quits a job is entitled to state benefits for 6 months.

He didn't quit, he was given an honourable discharge. If he quit he would've had to buy himself out. I don't think soldiers should be any different to civies, but personally it just seems wrong.

Apologies, the word I used should have been leaves, not quit.

well what a refreshing surprise I got when reading this, expecting the whole thread to be the usual, arse licking army / forces staff lovers everyone now seems to be.

It's a shame this bloke is homeless, but no more a shame then any other native brit who's homeless when so many refugees are put up in accomadation.

We dont know the circumstances of this individual but they payout from the army when you leave after being really hurt at war is enough to buy a house outright in some areas of the UK. Then there is the fact "help for heroes" would have chucked some money his way, along with the army benevolent fund etc.. So either he has either squandered it, or he left of his own free will and his injuries were not actually that bad that the army wanted rid of him... (meaning he would get no payout)

As for forces pay. The army (especially lower ranks) do get paid very little [Not the amount I'd want to be earning as a "career wage" and not all of the married quarters are cheap to live in, blocks are (most of them) but a lot of modernization is going on and new houses and blocks are being built and rent levels are rising rapidly. I've got a mate in a new build who is paying 400 a month rent, we also have to pay council tax and ALL the normal bills (in quarters)

In the block you dont pay the bills, only the rent and council tax (council tax is pittence in the block) Food also isnt free, if you live in the block you pay for food from the mess (£4ish a day) and if you live in quarters or your own place you obviously sort yourself out.

If you heard it in the paper, they will def be blowing it out of proportion mate, that's what they do. Sure it will have all worked out.

Agree there papers blow everything out makes a good story to sell papers,we don't know the circumstances of what happened only what's in the paper,but it's good to see the replys on here obviously a few have been in the services judging by there answers and knowledge on the subject....

well what a refreshing surprise I got when reading this, expecting the whole thread to be the usual, arse licking army / forces staff lovers everyone now seems to be.

It's a shame this bloke is homeless, but no more a shame then any other native brit who's homeless when so many refugees are put up in accomadation.

So true about refugees they get treated better than us Brits but that's another story,thought it would be a diff topic I just the guys/girls that serve in war torn countrys do a great job prob stems from my father bein in the army....

I want to pose a question about this.

Is it that homeless Brits are overlooked to house refugees, or is it that the refugees ask for help (and sometimes get it)while the Brits don't ask for help, be it down to pride/stupidity/laziness?

Edited by Trig

I want to pose a question about this.

Is it that homeless Brits are overlooked to house refugees, or is it that the refugees ask for help (and sometimes get it)while the Brits don't ask for help, be it down to pride/stupidity/laziness?

what do they say??? Pride comes before a fall???

surely no-one is so proud to the point they are homeless?

If there was a survey taken of homeless people, im sure 90% of you would be surprised at how many homeless are ex forces. Yes the accommodation is cheap and now most places are 'pay as you dine' which means as opposed to £120 (roughly) coming out of your wages at the start of teh month you now pay for what you eat.

Mental issues play a large part of why so many are homeless as they drive away family and friends who (unfortunatley) can't take it anymore and ask them to move on to somewhere else.

As for refugees don't get me started robbin ba****s.

I'm in the Navy and used to pay £65 a month for my cabin on base, double bed all en suite etc, got a mortage back home and even get paid extra for having a mortgage per mile away from my base port and take home a good whack each month. Well paid job but you'll find most youngsters out on the lash every night pissing it up the wall or titty joints and brothels but then aint that why you join up in the first place to have fun :D

i dare say, from forces experience etc that this is from years ago as there was some reason a few yrs back, that should a chap/lass be living in single army accomodation, (so in the barracks not in army homes etc) that due to them never having been on a housing register etc they werent entitled to apply for council/housing assoc/ or other ways of applying for houses to rent.

but they could buy a house, now most people having served short of 10/15 yrs will not generally have saved enough or had a payout large enough to buy a house, thus leaving them in that situation.

it is however, a far, far different story these days... it just wouldn't happen unless they didn't bother to apply for housing. thus having to wait as would anybody else.