Coolant question

JC

Couple of questions

1) Is coolant meant to be matched to the age of the car or the engine? ( as I went to buy some and found there is different stuff, pre' 98 and post. My engine is of ~92 design, but a year old, and the car is 10 years old)

2) How much coolant do I need, when replacing it all?

3) Whats the best way to drain the system?

:cheers:

Couple of questions

1) Is coolant meant to be matched to the age of the car or the engine? ( as I went to buy some and found there is different stuff, pre' 98 and post. My engine is of ~92 design, but a year old, and the car is 10 years old)

1 not sure

2 it will say on the bottle, its usually a percentage mix with water

3 look down behind the radiator on your right side (facing the front of the car) down the bottom corner there is a screw plug, undo that with a coin and open your filler cap... it will all piddle out.

And i bit of added advice, get some coolant flush... it will clear out all the crap from the system :)

Couple of questions

I think the mix for fords is 50/50 (50% antifreeze 50% water) I know some tell you on cap on header tank

Don't know about the plug at Bottom of radiator I normally take Bolton hose of radiator (unsure if this is correct way) and let waterdrao. Out of system

As for anti freeze I know there are different types as I think the blue one lasts 2 years there's another one thats pink on colour and lasts five years (personally I use the one that lasts five years)

Yes as said coolant flush is a good idea to clean system out..

Hope this has helped a bit...

1. I'm assuming the post 98 stuff is going to be OAT, the orange "long life" antifreeze. Last I heard the two types are incompatible, so I'd say stick with whatever ford recommends (should be in the ford manual - you have the 2L zetec now dont you? The Haynes mondeo guide recommends the ethylene glycol based stuff, which they probably mean the old type antifreeze).

2. The 2L zetec holds 6.6litres of coolant, and you'll be diluting what you buy 1:1, so you'll need 3.3L (you can go slightly less, the less coolant you have the higher the temperature it will protect to ie 50:50 is good down to ~-34C, less coolant goes to a higher temp). But go by the instructions of whatever it says on the bottle.

3. As above, I doubt it really matters too much. Id be tempted to just undo the bottom of the radiator myself. But make sure you have a BIG tray underneath, its gonna go everywhere.

You got the mondeo haynes?

Cheers caled, spot on, its a 2.0 zetec, i forgot I had a haynes manual some where for a mondeo that I bought ages ago and thats reminded me!

and yeah Sleeman will make sure its winter mix. The coolant was replaced a year ago, but I lost alot adding sensors, and at the time topped it up with water, with winter coming I want to make sure it doesn't freeze, would hate to do damage for the sake of a few £!