How much do you have to earn to live comfortably

LiamGTR

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been asking this recently and got answers from £15k/£60k ... LOL!

For example, how much would you have to earn to have:

- A nice 2/3 bedroom house (maybe with a garage?)

- A nice car

- A dog (pet)

- 1/2 children (when I reach 30+)

- Spare money to go out with mates/treat the other half on weekends

Discuss :cheers:

My life is pretty much what you describe, 3 bed semi, detached garage, 2 kids, 3 pets. Most if not all my spare money goes on the kids, occasionally going out for meals etc, to do this without worry i need to be earning around 30K a year. I can get by on less but its a bit depressing, been scraping by for about 3 months since being made redundant and its utter shite, £60 a week Jobseekers allowance doesn't even cover the mortgage but you just gotta keep plugging away :thumb:

Edited by MarkyMark

roughly Id have to say between 38k - 42k myself

thats a 3 bed house

1-2 cars (one often being new)

1 disabled child

1 dog

5 cats

1 moaning wench that refuses to allow me to buy that lock-up Ive had my eye on for monthes

I earn just under 29k and since im saving at least 400 quid because of the RAF house i'd say you need to be on at least 5-6K more than that to live comfortably (and NOT in southern england, some places you can find a mortgage for 600 a month on a house id be happy with)

Thats with 2 kids and 1 car, and a wife who is a homemaker

It really depends where you want to live. I live down south in a 3 bed terraced house with garage worth about £250k, but the same up north is probably half that. My dad's 2 bed cottage in Yorkshire is worth about 90K.

I worked it out for my son about a year ago that to buy a house like mine he would need 15K take home just to pay the bills, so I would say at least 32K for what you want down south, and maybe 25K up north.

Fuuuuuuuu

Looks like I need a new job, or a promotion!

Depends on the person's definition of comfortably though. Mine would include a family holiday every year at circa £2k, but others might not care about that.

If you had the looks, I'd suggest trying to snag a rich cougar, but sadly.....

I've not been on holiday for 4 years so add another 2K as sid says to the total, i bought my house just before the market boomed so my mortgage is alot less than most peoples which brings my total down a bit.

Hmm, maybe I will take away that one kid, haha :P

I always thought I wanted to be married circa 27 and start a family by 30, but it's not the done thing anymore, largely due to house prices.

My family home when I moved into it in 1994 (4 bedroom semi in a nice area) was about 92k. My girlfriend's flat (small 1 bedroom in a not very nice area) cost about 92k last year :|

It's sick.

Hmm, maybe I will take away that one kid, haha :P

I always thought I wanted to be married circa 27 and start a family by 30, but it's not the done thing anymore, largely due to house prices.

My family home when I moved into it in 1994 (4 bedroom semi in a nice area) was about 92k. My girlfriend's flat (small 1 bedroom in a not very nice area) cost about 92k last year :|

It's sick.

Not that bad, my parents bought their house in 1983 for ~£37k, its now on the market for £275k.

Not a bad markup.

As far as the topic goes, I'd like to point out that it's not just money that's the main concern - job security is a big factor in my view. The nature of the work that I did means that 3 year or less contracts are the norm, which plays hell with future planning as i have no idea where the next job is coming from. It sucks.

im on 18.5k just now, im still at home

get about £1300ish after tax ect

£140 on digs

£188 on the car

£120 on insurance

£40 on my phone

£100 on a loan thatll be paid soonish

I reakon i could afford to rent a place just now, circa 400 ish a month up here on a 1/2bed flat private let and then the bills on top

I wouldnt call it comfy but if it were in the same town as i work i woudnt be using the car as often so ill be saving on fuel

Id say a single person with not alot of outgoings could rent a place and live fairly comfy on 20-22k a year

There was a report a while ago that suggested that for the average family to not have to worry about money, they would need to be earning ~£63k a year between them. I'll try and dig up that report.

Of course, theres a difference between 'coping', 'comfortable' and 'I haven't checked my bank balance in months'.