Wayne Rooney

sidrick

http://blogs.soccernet.com/manchesterunited/middle-finger.jpg

What an epic pr!ck. He had ages left on his contract so had no right to demand a move, cause a rubbish-storm and unsettle the team like that, only to turn around and sign a new 5 year deal, no doubt with a massive wage rise to boot. Agents really have ruined the game.

I can still see him moving on in the summer, with this extension happening purely to ensure Man Utd get top dollar for him.

Although Holloway's rant is extreme and a little daft, I can completely appreciate his anger and passion on the subject - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ool/9115962.stm

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe cos I'm more of a basketball fan, and used to seeing this in more American sports than with football, but I really don't see the problem.

• As far as I can see, United's franchise player has asked for assurances that United will continue to invest in quality players so they can compete.
  • United told him either a) they would, b) they would in future, or c) they wouldn't
  • Therefore, Rooney feels he has won enough at United, they can't contend at present, so he voiced that he wanted to move on.
  • In turn, United have now given him some assurances, and he has decided to stay

When you're a superstar player, you obviously have a bit of clowt. It has clearly taken this debarcle for United to tell Rooney what he wants to hear.

Whats the problem? Fans expect way too much "loyalty" and "respect". Thats all well and good, but I'm as sure as anything that if I was unhappy at my job, I'd move on.

i like rooney as a player but what he has said in the news that he wants to leave and stuff and then turn around to sign a new 5 years with the club is pointless, cos sir alex will not stand for this i bet your nt see rooney starting any game soon as he did this with beckham,ronaldo left them out after they kicked off cos not getting any games,

i like rooney as a player but what he has said in the news that he wants to leave and stuff and then turn around to sign a new 5 years with the club is pointless,

He told them his feelings in August didn't he!? According to AF, it was August 14th.

They called his bluff, he reiterated that he wanted to leave, they had crisis talks (and obviously gave him some assurances), he stays.

This is the best possible result for both parties, Rooney has done everyone a favour.

Maybe cos I'm more of a basketball fan, and used to seeing this in more American sports than with football, but I really don't see the problem.

• As far as I can see, United's franchise player has asked for assurances that United will continue to invest in quality players so they can compete.
  • United told him either a) they would, b) they would in future, or c) they wouldn't
  • Therefore, Rooney feels he has won enough at United, they can't contend at present, so he voiced that he wanted to move on.
  • In turn, United have now given him some assurances, and he has decided to stay

When you're a superstar player, you obviously have a bit of clowt. It has clearly taken this debarcle for United to tell Rooney what he wants to hear.

Whats the problem? Fans expect way too much "loyalty" and "respect". Thats all well and good, but I'm as sure as anything that if I was unhappy at my job, I'd move on.

No, the problem is that he signed a contract to play for a club to the best of his abilities. Half way through that contract he decides he no longer wants to play for said club. If hasn't going to honour it then he shouldn't have signed it in the first place. I suppose that's difficult to do when you see how many zeros are at the end of your weekly wage slip though.

Fair enough if he kept his head down and played for the next 20 months or whatever and left after that, but to come out in the media and unsettle the team and significantly reduce his market value by announcing his availability, is a crock.

Edited by sidrick

No, the problem is that he signed a contract to play for a club to the best of his abilities. Half way through that contract he decides he no longer wants to play for said club. If hasn't going to honour it then he shouldn't have signed it in the first place. I suppose that's difficult to do when you see how many zeros are at the end of your weekly wage slip though.

Fair enough if he kept his head down and played for the next 20 months or whatever and left after that, but to come out in the media and unsettle the team and significantly reduce his market value by announcing his availability, is a crock.

I disagree.. purely because this whole situation has come about due to his contract extension talks. He can't wait 20 months with his current (expiring) contract up in the air. I think this is just the nature of 'extensions' and the business. If someone voices that they want to move, it's going to come half way through a contract. Thats just the mechanics of it.

The alternative is, he doesn't sign anything now (extension wise) then he gets criticised for the next 20 months by fans who are in the dark because they don't know if he will be staying at the end of the 20 months. Would United even allow him to carry on playing on an expiring contract without an extension? probably not, that doesn't make sense.

I don't imagine he had any intentions of dishonouring the contract, but you have to look at the bigger picture. City are across town and becoming a significant threat for the Premiership. They had a bad year last year and he wants something that tells him his future in top flight football is secure. History aside, its winning trophies NOW that Rooney is concerned with. He wants to know that the club are going to be in a position to compete, and fortunately for the United fans (many of who have a lot of doubts about the club right now) Rooney is perhaps one of only 2 players at United with enough clowt to make the board sit up and take notice.

I do agree with the comments about his form though..

Edited by Brown

Who cares he looks like shrek can't keep it in his trousers as with any footballers there all over paid idiots chasin a bag of air or chasing women drinking or drugs,drink driving,speeding,crashing expensive cars,gambling yeah great role models NOT had forty years to win a world cup and they still can't do it pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree.. purely because this whole situation has come about due to his contract extension talks. He can't wait 20 months with his current (expiring) contract up in the air. I think this is just the nature of 'extensions' and the business. If someone voices that they want to move, it's going to come half way through a contract. Thats just the mechanics of it.

The alternative is, he doesn't sign anything now (extension wise) then he gets criticised for the next 20 months by fans who are in the dark because they don't know if he will be staying at the end of the 20 months. Would United even allow him to carry on playing on an expiring contract without an extension? probably not, that doesn't make sense.

I don't imagine he had any intentions of dishonouring the contract, but you have to look at the bigger picture. City are across town and becoming a significant threat for the Premiership. They had a bad year last year and he wants something that tells him his future in top flight football is secure. History aside, its winning trophies NOW that Rooney is concerned with. He wants to know that the club are going to be in a position to compete, and fortunately for the United fans (many of who have a lot of doubts about the club right now) Rooney is perhaps one of only 2 players at United with enough clowt to make the board sit up and take notice.

I do agree with the comments about his form though..

I see what you're saying but I must disagree. I really don't believe there are footballing reasons behind this debacle, and have heard numerous rumours that it will eventually come to light which club has whispered in Rooney's ear about the money he could be making elsewhere. I can honestly see him being Man City's marquee signing in the summer, on wages of circa 500k pw.

Anyone who knows football knows that Man City will not win the title in the near future, and certainly won't overtake Man Utd over the course of a number of years. This makes the 'worried about not competing in the future' spin rubbish, and I feel it's just that. Spin from Rooney's reps in order to deflect some of the bad press being directed at their client.

He'll absolutely still move on, and I think they will have come to a mutual agreement that he's going to leave, but there's been so much damage done to his value (which was at an all time high following last season) that he needs to sign this deal to ensure Man Utd get the price they want, otherwise he'll be frozen out.

I mean, during the WC there was talk of £80m bids from Real Madrid for him, but after this fiasco, Chelsea were rumoured to be in with a shout of buying him for £35-40m. The club had to address this, and if it means paying him and extra £50k per week for 6 months in order to get another £30m back at the end of the season, then you can see their reasoning.

I believe all of the above, with the only other possible explaination being that he knows Ferguson will retire at the end of the season, which is a real possibility. Stories of ambition and such like are PR spin. He's a council estate scouse only interested in making the money and having a tarty (although shaggable) wag, at the same time as banging whoever he wants.

Edited by sidrick

I believe all of the above, with the only other possible explaination being that he knows Ferguson will retire at the end of the season, which is a real possibility. Stories of ambition and such like are PR spin. He's a council estate scouse only interested in making the money and having a tarty (although shaggable) wag, at the same time as banging whoever he wants.

That bit. :thumb:

In his defence, Wayne Rooney hasn't had 40 years to win the World Cup.

Fair enuf answer but no way is a footballer like Rooney worth ninety thousand pounds a week that's as I heard on radio that's what he gets stupid amount of money no footballer is worth that like I said in previous post they don't set any standard as people look up to them great role models