wheel bearing

16Vrhys

nope as wouldn't stick old shoes and mis matched brakes on would i , when i know my shoes and cylinders aint that old :)

You can change the stub axle and keep the backplate and all your other parts. As said, you just remove drum then the 4 bolts from the back and the stub axle comes off leaving the backplate and wheel cylinder untouched. I think you can get the stub axle to pass between the shoes (I night be thinking of the fiesta there) but if you can't you probably only need to remove the lower spring. Fit new stub axle, then fit your current drum with new bearings installed.

i would just fit complete assembly providing drum is in good order and bearing is good, you should not remove hubs by removing cap and undoing hub nut, you should remove them by undoing 4 blue bolts at rear of drum this is what i was told when i worked for ford as the bearings are factory torqued and shouldent be disturbed if possible,this is the most common cause of premature bearing failure, you only need to undo 4 bolts and assy will clear shoes pull it off gently as not to loosen rivits that hold back plate to axle hope this helps :thumb:

This is the correct way to do it. The only reason you would dismantle the stub axle and bearings is if the bearings are gone.

as ive not taken the bolts at the back before not quite sure what happens or how it works untill try it , so its the 4 bolts at the back , u undo them and then that allows u to pull the drum off ? once the drum is off by removing the four bolts at the back l, how do u remove the stub axel? does the backing plate have seperate bolts to the four bolts holding the hub on and does that stay in place?

as ive not taken the bolts at the back before not quite sure what happens or how it works untill try it , so its the 4 bolts at the back , u undo them and then that allows u to pull the drum off ? once the drum is off by removing the four bolts at the back l, how do u remove the stub axel? does the backing plate have seperate bolts to the four bolts holding the hub on and does that stay in place?

If you are replacing the stub axle you start by taking the drum off before the 4 bolts on the back. The reason for this is getting enough torque to undo the hub nut. The backplate is attached to the rear beam with 2 rivets so all the brake system stays untouched.

So:

1: jack and chock car take wheel off

2: fully release handbrake

3: remove centre cap from drum

3: undo hub nut

4: remove drum and bearing assembly

5: remove 4 bolts from behind backplate and take out stub axle

do whatever you need to do and reverse to refit

nice one i can picture it now how it all goes and goes together lol its hard understanding with out it infront of you aint it ! so at scrappy i can just undo the four rear bolts and the whole stub axel and bearings and drum will come off ? or do i need to remove the hub nut to see inside to try help get it past any thing that could get in the way ?

so from my understanding u undo the four bolts , that removes the stub axel with the bearings in place which allows them to not be disturbed , and then just the backing plate with the braking set up is left behind?

do i need to remove the hub nut to see inside to try help get it past any thing that could get in the way ?

Not usually. The stub axle comes through the middle of the shoes with just a bit of maneuvering.

so from my understanding u undo the four bolts , that removes the stub axel with the bearings in place which allows them to not be disturbed , and then just the backing plate with the braking set up is left behind?

That's it. If you want to have the drum and stub axle as a unit then you just remove the 4 bolts from behind the backplate. The handbrake needs to be fully released - let it off and slacken the adjuster as well.

If you want just the stub axle so that you can use your existing drum then take the hub nut off and remove the drum first, then take the 4 bolts out to remove the stub.

Going round our local breakers though it appears that most people take the drums but leave the stub axle behind so it's pretty easy to pick one of these up.