BUYING A FOCUS ST170

scoobysi1976

I can't see why the ST170 would be particularly juicy? It's just a 2L zetec. Perhaps the type of car enthuses people to drive harder.

must admit your on the right line of thought there Stu.

the uprated running gear and responsiveness of the engine did have a tendency to induce "excitable" driving styles in the owners (myself included on occasion) but tbf...... its generally what they were made to do.

unfortunately the obvious side effect was they gargled petty like a health freak drinks Tropicana.

drive em normally (granny style) and there more than a match mpg wise for similar cars but like I said, there incorrigible :pancake:

Well I've had mine for 4 years and done 39k in it. 32mpg pretty much all the time. Handling epic, brakes fantastic, engine's great when you push it.

Let downs, Juddery while crusing at lower RPM's and sometimes lurches in to power when accelerating hard, but that seems to be down to a weak fuel pump that struggles to overcome the air pressure in the tank, maybe a replacement fuel cap will fix this. Its been through A cat and sensor set.

Other things:

Potentially the flywheel will go through the gear box housing, From what I've experienced and seen from others, they like to get through Cats and Lambda sensors, Rust under the boot handle (standard focus problem). Dials flicker when on full brightness.

Would I tell advise getting one? well if you get a low mileage one, full history, at a good price that's never had paint then yes if it's deffinetly the type of car you want, then Yes.

Edited by bluliz

They are ok as long as you are happy with the power they have as standard as they are basically a ford tuned 2.0l so most of the mods you could do have been done in the factory. Due to the Variable Cam Timing they are not easy to take much further without major investment.

I have had one for a few years now and like the way it handles a few choice upgrades can bring it alive as has been mentioned the power curve can be less than smooth I cured this with a dreamscience remap which made a noticable difference

saying that they do tend to be prone to faults especially with the fuel pumps and inlet manifold control mechanism

being honest do i regret buying it? No not really. Would I buy it again no I'd recommed getting a 2.0l esp far better base for progress.

By the way full power only comes at higher revs due to the vct and this encourages a heavy right foot and fuel consumption in all honesty is pretty poor as a result

al

I can't see why the ST170 would be particularly juicy? It's just a 2L zetec. Perhaps the type of car enthuses people to drive harder.

that makes total sense :thumb: however, i don't really drive it hard :cheers:

32mpg pretty much all the time. Handling epic, brakes fantastic

how the f'in hell do you manage that?!? :O agree with the other bit though :)