radiator flushing - any experience?

SteveB

Ok, the engine runs just fine, temp gauge on normal, no overheating, but the heater is dire. Now the cold weather has started it's just blowing luke warm air, so I'm thinking a doing a radiator flush to remove any sludge blocking it. I've tried taking the pipes off and flushing with a hosepipe and the flow rate through the heater is very low so it does seem like this is the problem.

Now the question is which flush to use. Anyone got any experience of bars, wynns, wurth, forte, holts products?

are you sure its not the thermostat or does it do it even after a while of running?

The engine warms up to normal in a mile or so but even after a 200 mile trip the heater's still only luke warm. If I turn the fan on position I then I get warm air - position II the heat disappears and it just blows cold, turn it back to I and it comes back to warm again so it indicates to me that there is almost no flow through the heater matrix.

are you sure its not the thermostat or does it do it even after a while of running?

The engine warms up to normal in a mile or so but even after a 200 mile trip the heater's still only luke warm. If I turn the fan on position I then I get warm air - position II the heat disappears and it just blows cold, turn it back to I and it comes back to warm again so it indicates to me that there is almost no flow through the heater matrix.

have known matrix to block up quite common if antifreeze hasnt been used you have three options 1 keep flushing first 1 outlet from matrix then other you will get wet or 2 remove matrix from car and soak with dilute caustic soda 3 fit new matrix :thumb:

have known matrix to block up quite common if antifreeze hasnt been used you have three options 1 keep flushing first 1 outlet from matrix then other you will get wet or 2 remove matrix from car and soak with dilute caustic soda 3 fit new matrix :thumb:

Yeah I know a new matrix is the best option but I don't have the time at the moment to rip the dashboard out, so I was hoping a flush through might do it as it isn't completely blocked. I think the problem was caused by halfrauds antifreeze when I changed the water pump last year as there is a lot of rust particles in the system now - even though I drained the system completely and it is supposed to be compatible with the ford original anyway.

Heater matrix needs replacing mate, a rad flush wont touch it from personal experience.

Ull need to rip the dash out to get to it and then flush it, better replacing it to get the job done

I agree, but as I said I don't have the time at the moment to rip the dash out so want to try flushing it first in the hope that it will work.

Heater matrix needs replacing mate, a rad flush wont touch it from personal experience.

Ull need to rip the dash out to get to it and then flush it, better replacing it to get the job done

I agree, but as I said I don't have the time at the moment to rip the dash out so want to try flushing it first in the hope that it will work.

you could try removing both hoses from matrix fitting two bits of pipe up thruogh engine bay put some dilute caustic down pipes and let it soak make sure you keep the pipes higher than matrix else it will run out i would try a 25% mix first see if that helps :thumb: