mk1 focus rs vs st3

ST170 Dan

Two very different cars imo. If you want something to pootle around town in with all the toys, get the ST. If you're not to fussed about having all the toys and want a car that is fantastic to drive, is more aggressive and makes you smile everytime you put your foot down, get the RS....

The RS is easy to get more power out of too and can be an animal....

My mate had the ST and it just didn't feel quick, as someone above said, it was just soft and alittle boring, it was a lovely car but just nothing like the RS. He sold it and bought an RS and loved it, said it was the best car he'd owned, better than his ST, VXR etc....

You're correct the RS does have an AP Clutch, as well as the Quaife Diff, Brembo's etc, some big names involved with the FRS, Brembo, Sparco, Quaife, OZ Racing etc.....

I'd recommend you drive them both and see which is for you :thumb:

The ST is the modern day XR3i :roll:

interesting topic!

ive owned an ST2, RS and now ST3 - in that order.

all are nice cars although i got bored of the RS quickly! the dash is gash and IMO, the exterior looks very dated! (My opinion)

the st i have now is at about 280bhp! it chewed the clutch when i had a re-map done so i upgraded to the mkII focus RS item and all is good!

st is far more comfy and more toys.

one thing with the ST is that there are a handful of cases where the liners crack as they are very thin/close together. this was solved on the RS and later (post 08) engines as they were coated in something or other!

saying that though, i have an 07 plate st3 with remap, intercooler, induction kit, rs clutch and its still doing nicely after a few K'miles (soon to have a quaiffe fitted too)

agree with most what others have said especially about the rs holding its value!

the rs has a more raw feel and not a nice everyday car (with a 3 year old!) The ST however would/will/has kicked the RS's arse!!!

st brakes are fantastic, i have a standard set up but with 5.1 fluid!

hope it helps but mainly, they are completely different cars and both have their positives and negatives!!!

Edited by marcus

i realise they are different cars. the reason i asked is because im bouncing a few ideas around atm and toying with the idea of getting either next year. i think i approached it wrong in comparing them - i should have thought about what i want in a car. i like the toys in the st3 but theyre not essential - it will be used purely for leisure and enjoyment, power and agressiveness and fun. ive been doing more reading and getting a jist for what each car is about and i think the spec of the rs is a bit more race orientated with the brembos, the clutch etc so i think this is closer to what im after. but i guess i wont know untill i try both, it just would have been nice to know how they stacked up, just so i had another angle to look at it from.

The ST however would/will/has kicked the RS's arse!!!

Is that a modded ST against a standard RS though? With a few mods the RS becomes a completely different car and really livens up. I was over at Oulton recently with a few RS lads running 300bhp+ and out on track you really see what a capable and fantastic car the Mk1 RS is....

As you say though they're two completely different cars, bet yours will go nice with the Diff in there too....

fair play to you matey, i wisk i had money to throw at something like that!

yeah me too!!

ps mike, car looking stunning in the sig!

Cheers mate, i personally think they look awesome but i'm biased. From what you have said above, i think you want the RS. If you want a comfy car for everyday, if you've got kids etc with all the toys but still quick enough to be fun, get the ST. If you want a drivers car get the RS....