2 Legal-ish Scenarios/Questions

RobMk6

Firstly,

My House'mate' owes my uncle almost 2k for damage caused to a farm vehicle he borrowed to move some stuff but so far has only paid £30 in over 3 months,

My uncle now has his eye in my housemates car,

Various things have led me to believe that his car has no MOT or Insurance, and its not like its a rotter either, its a fairly mint Astra GSi Turbo,

Is there anyway I can find out if it has MOT or insurance?

Secondly,

I'm pretty convinced my house'mate' has taken the V5 and MOT for my car,

What exactly can I do if he's somehow managed to put it in his name and put his mothers address down?

lets just say for example I get pulled over as its been reported stolen? and I say its mine but its actually in his name?

Its currently insured in my name and was booked in for an MOT about 4 months ago, again in my name.

Cheers

Rob

Problem 1 - I dont think your uncle can just take something he wants, whether this guy is in his debt or not. That would be a matter for the small claims court.

Problem 2 - I'd ring the DVLA. And 'taking' your V5 and then registering it in his name, in my eyes, is theft.

Edited by caled

No no, as for problem 1, maybe I've not explained myself, My uncle has his eye on the car as form of payment, but if he's currently driving round with no MOT, Tax or Insurance then in all likelyhood if he gets stopped the cars gonna get taken away anyway so thats then lost.....

V5 is not proof of ownership, the dvla would notify you if the keeper had been changed (if he forged your signature then its fraud not theft as such)

as long as you have a receipt or some proof you bought the car and he has no reciept from you then its your no question

as for the insurance check ASKMID - although you have to tick a box saying its your car - so read the term carefully don't want to go committing fraud yourself

and from your side of the story I'd say

http://www.shoes.com/productimages/Shoes_iAEC1040445.jpg

HIM IN

No its not so he can report him, he wants the car as payment and as i already know its not been taxed since September, My uncle is afraid that its gonna get taken away, and as its the only thing of value this lad owns, he'll then not get any form of payment......

V5 is not proof of ownership, the dvla would notify you if the keeper had been changed (if he forged your signature then its fraud not theft as such)

as long as you have a receipt or some proof you bought the car and he has no reciept from you then its your no question

as for the insurance check ASKMID - although you have to tick a box saying its your car - so read the term carefully don't want to go committing fraud yourself

and from your side of the story I'd say

http://www.shoes.com/productimages/Shoes_iAEC1040445.jpg

HIM IN

and as for http://www.shoes.com/productimages/Shoes_iAEC1040445.jpg

I could go on and on and on and on with a list as long as all of our arms as to a reason to do that.........

Only reason i let him share with me is to help with the rent...... but as it goes SSAFA is going to help me with the rent on a new place,

So I cant wait to see this guys face when he has nowhere to go and no way of moving his stuff, cos lets face it, he's not gonna be able to hire anything from my uncle again :roll:

The V5 clearly states that it does not give proof of ownership.

So what exactly would be 'proof' of ownership?

as the only form of 'receipt' you tend to get with a car is the V5?

The V5 owenership thing is kind of proof of who the keeper is or owner, but the bit PEEWEE is on about is only really applicable if it is a company car or mobilaty car, it gives you the keeper and the owner. if you know anybody that is disabled you will know what i mean.

The V5 owenership thing is kind of proof of who the keeper is or owner, but the bit PEEWEE is on about is only really applicable if it is a company car or mobilaty car, it gives you the keeper and the owner. if you know anybody that is disabled you will know what i mean.

It applies to all. The V5 shows who is liable for taxing it and so on but NOT ownership. Otherwise anyone could technically apply for ownership of your car via the V5.

very true. but there isnt much else that would state who the owner is. not every1 gets a car from a dealer where invoices are present.

This is why if you have any sense you don't buy or sell a car without a bill of sale being drawn up.

very true. but there isnt much else that would state who the owner is. not every1 gets a car from a dealer where invoices are present.

This is why if you have any sense you don't buy or sell a car without a bill of sale being drawn up.

True.

But... If the owner before me didn't have a bill when he bought it... How do I know that it's his ?

It looks like from laws point of view half of my cars are not mine at all...