2 Legal-ish Scenarios/Questions

RobMk6

Yes, I know what Stu said.

And I do do it, when I can be arsed.

But when I'm buying/selling car from/to a friend it tends to be a very oral agreement indeed. Mistake I know.

My point was - I'm gonna buy a car. From a bloke whose name is on the V5. At the same address as the V5. HPI check is clean. I'm gonna have a receipt and some sort of written agreement. But how can I be really sure that the car IS really his ?

Tell me. Because those new V5's just annoy the crap out of me.

draw a bill of sale simples...

I have in the least made people scribbled on a scrap of paper that they've sold me the car (reg or chassis number) for x amount on x day i then keep that with the paperwork.

Anyone can apply for the logbook to any car its a simple matter of filling out a form. you just need some basic details and the chassis numer (which is generally on the dashboard anyway)

Sigh.

Ok, let's go again.

I get it. You get it.

Let's have a fairy tale.

Now, after having a piece of paper with VIN nubmer and a licence plate (as I do) and both our signatures - police will come knocking - car was stolen last week. I'll show them piece of paper - no matter to them, bloke couldn't have sold it to me, he DOESN'T OWN IT. Somebody else does. Paper is worthless. And they'll return it to a rightful owner leaving me with no car and no money. And a very long and hopeles court hearing.

HOW CAN YOU CHECK WHO REALLY OWNS THE CAR THAT YOU'RE BUYING ?!?

Rob, apply to the DVLA for a new V5, hopefully its still in your name, when you get it, hide it, then get a duplicate MOT certificate (costs £10 i think from the garage) and hide that too. Kick this lodger out post haste. and as for your uncle wanting his 2 grand, he's either gonna need to claim on insurance for the damage, or take this scrote to small claims court and prove that the scrote done the damage...

As for the ownership of ANY car issue.. I'd say that despite the small print on a V5, the police would accept the name on the V5 as the true owner in 99.999% of cases.

for example if I went to the police saying that my previous car had been stolen and I actually hadnt sold it to the guy the police would tell me "unlucky" since it's his name on the V5, and I have ZERO documentation proving it was ever mine other than old insurance paperwork (which is shredded now anyway)

Having a sale receipt for the INITIAL purchase of a car makes you the legal owner, however, having a hand written reciept from the guy who's name is on the V5 before yours doesnt make the car yours, unless ALL of the previous owners have similar reciepts to show the police when the police go door to door after getting a list of all the previous owners names from the DVLA.. But this would NEVER happen

this has always made me wonder - particular with the latest V5 i received, in a massive red bar at te top "this does not make you the owner" or words to that affect anyway......so if i bought said car with cash....how is it not mine? if its free of finance ETC.....

insurance wont cover the damage to the machine as its been caused by abuse rather than faulty components/failure :(

he ran it at far, far over the rated speed downhill and the prop shaft from the rear g'box to front diff assembly decided to fracture and tear apart the seals on the box, rip through the sump, damage fertiliser spreader sensors etc....

The oil and labour alone so far is £1k :O

we've not yet had the 'final' bill.

I also discovered last night that said scrotes car has no mot, tax, nor insurance......

and as for kicking him out, he's supposed to be leaving friday, if not i will be loading what possesions he does have on a trailer and dumping at the end of my drive :)

Then in 2 weeks im off to a nice new freshly built flat :) problem solved

Sigh.

Ok, let's go again.

I get it. You get it.

Let's have a fairy tale.

Now, after having a piece of paper with VIN nubmer and a licence plate (as I do) and both our signatures - police will come knocking - car was stolen last week. I'll show them piece of paper - no matter to them, bloke couldn't have sold it to me, he DOESN'T OWN IT. Somebody else does. Paper is worthless. And they'll return it to a rightful owner leaving me with no car and no money. And a very long and hopeles court hearing.

HOW CAN YOU CHECK WHO REALLY OWNS THE CAR THAT YOU'RE BUYING ?!?

well when you hpi'd it and they confirmed the details and thats its not recorded stolen the filth take the car and hpi give you your money back... simples