Home DIY.

geordie_aaron

Ok, i'm very competant at DIY.

after we had a bathroom leak ruin the wall on the stairs and ceiling of the hallway we've had all the walls in hall/stairs/landing repaired & plastered. so i the AMAZING (at the time) idea of stripping the paint from the door frames & doors since it had became a REALLY tight fit when wanting to shut doors........so i set about it - frames DONE, i took the doors off to get access to the inside of the frame and that's when i decided....to get new doors as the current firedoors had been on since i was a nipper 25 years ago (bought my mam/dads house i grew up in) and were plain/boring and the hinges were tighter than a nuns noo-noo in a brothal.

***refill your cuppa time***

SOOOOOO - doors are found/bought and i went for the butt-hinges (ooo rather) and noticed a difference in size. currently fitted are 90x30mm - but it would appear that the industry standard uk size is now either 75x50mm or 100x65mm - which alone is FINE. if the frame didn't already have the above mentioned hinge cut out.......SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO after all this...........without ripping the frame out, can i just extend or fill the holes of the current hinges and extend them for the bigger? i've never heard/had to 'fill wood' before and it doesn't sound right... but..... get to fUUUK if im putting new frames when the wood is PERRRRFECT.

:censored: :nutter: :censored: :nutter: :vangry:

You can use wood filler :thumb: it is a bit of a bodge IMO thou

firstly yes you can fill and extend (or commonly reffered to as bolstering the frame) to fit yoyr newer doors (btw are the newun's also fire resistant doors, the fact the ones your removing are fire doors indicates that they are a important part of the houses overall fire safety rating....could damage insurance or sale price if not properly replaced)

wood filler doesnt adopt the same principles as the wood its used on, or in other words.... it turns to dust when screwed into.

save your cash and simply fire a wood drill through some spare pieces of wood while saving the finer wood dust that is created, mix well with some standard wood glue then use resulting paste to fill holes.

alternatively you can use solid wood pegs or round bead to fill them (can be found at most wood traders inside the decorative finishing section)

Yes I also know about joirnery....Im not a smart arse.... my dads a master joiner and before I went into engineering I was his unofficial apprentice. (I started very young so couldnt initially be legally called a apprentice)

Edited by shawdreamer

whats with the negativity at the end you old fart? lol

appreciated - fire doors are being replaced with some nice...cheapISH b&Q doors which i suspect judging by the price AREN'T fire doors, i doubt this will affect my home insurance as i have 2 fire alarms in the hall/landing alone [but will check this tomorrow]

:-)

save your cash and simply fire a wood drill through some spare pieces of wood while saving the finer wood dust that is created, mix well with some standard wood glue then use resulting paste to fill holes.

Great Advice that :thumb: i adopted the same technique on my door the glue and wood dust (make sure its the very fine stuff) dry rock hard.

just fill and sand exsisting holes and the cut new ones for your hinges, this is the best way to do this imho

whats with the negativity at the end you old fart? lol

appreciated - fire doors are being replaced with some nice...cheapISH b&Q doors which i suspect judging by the price AREN'T fire doors, i doubt this will affect my home insurance as i have 2 fire alarms in the hall/landing alone [but will check this tomorrow]

:-)

its not about fire alarms, some insurance companies will counter any claim for fire damage you make (thats heaven forbid you have a fire obviously) with the argument that the damage was unnecessarily greater than it should of been due to your removal of the doors that limit fire expansion speed though they can even argue the toss enough to void your insurance claim and pee all over any chances you have of claiming property losses.

those doors were essentially fitted as part of the updated residential fire safety laws and pretty much represent a structural safety feature.

Its down to you though obviously, aslong as the alterations are to your own residence its a matter of personal choice but I will warn you, if any fire damage occurs great enough to warrant and assessors visit they will identify the lack of fire doors and love nothing better than voiding policies and responsibility for reimbursement.

and who you calling a old fart? Im 33 ffs and can out drink, club and shag a lad half my age :vangry: