Student

Scort_CVH

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Currently a Student Studying Motor Vehicle Repair and as I am over 19 the Funding is Dramatically reduced because of this new Government we have got and I'm paying over £1000 a year and when your 19 and there is no help from the government with such situations its a bit of an arse i have had to borrow money of my parents and pay back as and when I can bit of a struggle in these times. the government are banging on about unemployment figures how are we meant to be getting jobs if we can't afford to learn the trades?

I did electronic engineering in 1999 at swansea uni. Came out with £16k of debt, but dont regret it one bit as I learnt my ar$e from my elbow in the 3 years i was there, and i wouldnt have the job im in right now if i didnt have the qualifications i came out with.

If youre thinking of going, id get your skates on, the fees are going up to circa £6000 per year as of 2012.

the government are banging on about unemployment figures how are we meant to be getting jobs if we can't afford to learn the trades?

you do what everyone else has to do in life, you pay for it if it benefits you...

I disagree with that. The system is all wrong. There should be financial help for those that want to better themselves. There shouldn't be financial help for those that are dropping kids that they can't afford and not bothering to work hard.

the government are banging on about unemployment figures how are we meant to be getting jobs if we can't afford to learn the trades?

you do what everyone else has to do in life, you pay for it if it benefits you...

yeah fair enough I don't mind paying for it at the end of the day but if it wasn't for some on bailing me out then how on earth would a 19 year old gather of that magnitude and have the college demand it be paid within the first 3 months of college. all well and good if you have a full time job that can afford it but being a student i don't for me that is a lot of money to come by as well as forking out the same for insurance for the year and good knows how much on fuel as well. the if there was funding and i had to pay back the government like in the same way as university that would be fair enough but expecting me to pay £1000 for the year upfront with no help that is a bit on top and to think i got my level 3 to pay for next year so god knows how much that will be if they chose to withdraw even more funding it might just get to expensive to go to and i would have wasted lots of money for a qualification that a job won't touch as it is not the full qualification.

again my personal opinion

I disagree with that. The system is all wrong. There should be financial help for those that want to better themselves. There shouldn't be financial help for those that are dropping kids that they can't afford and not bothering to work hard.

I couldn't agree more!!!!

I went to college and learnt a trade, however after qualifying, took a different career path, when the company I worked for went tits up my backup plan (The Forces) came into play and luckily I got in quite quick,

I'm not from a rich family and my mothers been on DLA since she was about 30 as she has some spinal something or other, so I had to fund my education with so many part time jobs I hardly had time to study!!

I lost my job a while ago and am currently struggling to find a job, every job I've had I've worked my arse off so on so forth, So now I rely on the Government for things like rent.... but they only pay 50% and jobseekers allowance which doesn't even cover the fuel to look for a bloody job!!

Yet, some lass down the road whos 17 and has 2 kids already gets more money sittin on her arse than I had working 50hour weeks!!!!

I've had to sacrifice things I owned, my car had to be sold etc and yet on benefits she can go out and buy a bloody car!!

Edited by RobMk6

Thanks for the replys lads, keep em coming

I did electronic engineering in 1999 at swansea uni. Came out with £16k of debt, but dont regret it one bit as I learnt my ar$e from my elbow in the 3 years i was there, and i wouldnt have the job im in right now if i didnt have the qualifications i came out with.

If youre thinking of going, id get your skates on, the fees are going up to circa £6000 per year as of 2012.

Im at uni already mate, i was just curious with all the fees crap etc how many people do the job they qualified for etc. Did the debt take long to clear? and did you worry about it when you were there?

:cheers:

Nonsense. By "bettering yourself" you are actually meaning "statistically substantially increasing earning potential during working lifetime, mostly funded on the public purse". Being asked to pay for something that will increase your standard of living seems perfectly fair to me.

And the welfare system is a whole other kettle of fish, but that argument is essentially "the welfare state is screwed up. I want a free education" The two points have no bearing on one another other than the fact it is the tax payers that pay for them both.

So, what you're saying is; that you're happy to pay towards people having children they can't afford, and pumping money into a benefit dependant society, but you don't want to pay towards educating the people that one day might be looking after you in hospital, or designing new technology to make your life better, or even the things that save this planet from extinction, or cure diseases?

Makes sense to me...

Just wondering, whos been a student and what did you study? what are you doing now? and how much debt did you get in and has it been manageable?

Current students feel free to add opinions

:cheers:

In order of your questions:

I was a student for 3 years

I'm now working as a fitness instructor at Northumbria University

Studied basically my level 2 gym with additional things ontop

I'm in no debt - Done all my studying before I turned 19 - My level 3 i'm paying on my own, outright.

So, what you're saying is; that you're happy to pay towards people having children they can't afford, and pumping money into a benefit dependant society, but you don't want to pay towards educating the people that one day might be looking after you in hospital, or designing new technology to make your life better, or even the things that save this planet from extinction, or cure diseases?

Makes sense to me...

Don't be ridiculous, of course I'm not saying that. I'm saying the issues apparent in the welfare state aren't an excuse for excess expenditure elsewhere. They should reduce funding to both sectors.

And there's a reason that university teaching cuts were more drastic for courses that weren't maths/science/engineering based. And doctors are recompensed for their efforts quite substantially...

I'm currently in my first year of Graphic Design (just finished first semester). Money wise I know I'm going to get into lots of debt, but I'd rather have the debt and come out with a better education and gain a better well paid job which will gain me more money in the long run.