mk4 heating

16Vrhys

hi my mk4 wont turn from hot to cold , any one got any ideas please

when its turned off the air is cold as no heat is generated or water going to the matrix , when turn the car on it heats up , regardless of where the knob is it still stays hot with the engine running.

the flap that operates the cold / hot regulation is obviously not working, its stuck to hot, now if another switch hasn't fixed it its either jammed or the control mechanism has failed, if its electronic it must be on a fuse, it might not be on the same one as the control knob. the heating isn't controlled electrically, once the water i nthe coolant system heats up it flows through to the heater matrix and air passes through there to be heated up, cold air is fed straight through from the outside and a mixture of the two is controlled by a flap in the ducting.

are you sure the heating control has no cable operation?

in which case as I said the heat control has either failed or jammed, but before you go replacing more parts I'd check all the fuses.

then your going to have to take the dash out and investimigate... these are prone to failed heater control vales and ballast resistors, your symptoms don't point to these things though

check your fuses and report back :thumb: