petrol removal

duffa

not sure where to post this..please move if needed

as a follow on to 'hit by white van driver' i've noticed that my wife had filled the car up couple days previous ...is there an easy way for me to remove said tank of petrol without putting a hole in the tank ?

get yourself a new oil pan to catch the first rush of fuel escaping and a couple of jerry cans to hold it all then...

Jack up the rear as high as humanly possible (you don't exactly have to worry about the front hitting the ground cos of the angle obviously) then get yourself a 6" piece of 15mm copper pipe and cut a angle into one end diagonally.

Remove the filler cap and duct tape the hole to seal it as best you can (this will create a air stop effect later) get underneath with the oil pan ready and hammer the copper point into the lowest part of the tank, once through leave the pipe in place to work as a makeshift spout and the extra penetration will usually prevent you picking up the debri that gathers in tanks over the years, get the jerry can under there and pull the tape off the fill hole to let air in again (be sure the pans there also to catch the first dribbles)

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH ANYTHING BUT A SOFT METAL PIERCING TOOL (such as brass or copper) AS THE RISK OF SPARKING AND EXPLOSION IS OBVIOUS OTHERWISE

Edited by shawdreamer

Lift the rear seat and chisel the seat base/floor out, but dont chisel too deep just enough to cut the floor, you then have access to the sender unit, unclip the wire and pipes and remove the sender unit, you can then syphon the fuel out into cans.

When your finished just refit the sender unit and drop the seat back down.

Forgot to say the sender is on the off side of the car.

Bryan