out of fuel issue

fresh dfm

Hi guys,

During the process of breaking down the black GTi I have i managed to run it completely out of fuel whilst trying to manouvre it in the snow, i went and got a jerry can to get it running again but since it was completely out the petrol guage dropped off of the scale and didnt give a reading at all (needle sites at least 10mm below empty line)..i only put £5 in the can, the car is running fine again but the needle hasnt moved, i do not wish to put a ful tank in just to see if it moves again because im not using the car so it will be a waste to me but has anyone had this before and the needle just stop working??

it has always been fine until i ran it out of fuel and im not sure if its just because there is bearly anything in the tank but dont want to try and get rid of it saying theres no fault and it will work again upon refueling if there is a fault?

any advice much appreciated

cheers. Sam

the ford fuel gauge is notoriusly inaccurate below the 1/4 mark and I wouldnt be to suprised if it wouldnt recognize a 5'ers worth of fuel atall...... however the debri from the tanks likely got into the lines if you ran it dry and will no doubt nacker the inline filter in short order (not expensive to replace but seen as your breaking it hardly worth the while) and will likely break down again soon.

yeh i know what you mean about it bearly moving when you put no more than a tenner in if moving at all but the needle right now is sat completely at the bottom, well below the lines dead to the world, not just slightly below them

yeah but about 4 ltrs of fuel in a 60ltr tank is nothing so i wouldnt be worried

mark

Out of interest, in the MK6 at 70mph how many miles of fuel is left once the fuel light comes on?

I know it varies but roughly?

dont have a fuel light but once iv hit the red iv gone a good distance before reaching a petrol station before, probably dropped the needle 2mm beow the completely empty black line and it kept going

• 5 weeks later...