Wheel spraying

TC-DNB

Looking to spray my winter wheels black. Can this be done easily DIY style? Is it as simple as primer and spray or is there a bit more to it?

Im not looking for a pro finish but don't want it looking like shite. Just want the wheels dark rather than standard silver.

Any tips/hints welcome :thumb:

Looking to spray my winter wheels black. Can this be done easily DIY style? Is it as simple as primer and spray or is there a bit more to it?

Im not looking for a pro finish but don't want it looking like shite. Just want the wheels dark rather than standard silver.

Any tips/hints welcome :thumb:

prep, prep and erm.....oh yer before I forget, dont scrimp on the prep.

1. clean the wheels thoroughly, remove all signs of brake dust/debri

2. If not removing the tyres tape them up so the tape is slightly tucked behind the alloy lip.

3. sand with heavy grade (600-800) to remove as much of the original lacquer (factory lacquer on alloys is tougher than body tyre and doesnt work well as a key if it isnt roughed well)

4. tidy up the sanded surface with lighter grade (1000)

5. Id recommend a good high build primer for the primer coat and apply in even strokes and lines.

6. Flatten the primer coat to even out the high build (which can develop a bumpy texture)

7. clean the surfaces again to remove all signs of dust/debri

8. Due to the multiple close proximity angled surfaces alloys have its better to use a method or colour coat spraying (especially if your using a metallic paint finish).

with the wheel lying flat on floor or flat surface with its face upwards, circle the wheel as you spray from side to side in even strokes, If confident enough with spraying treat the wheel as if your spraying a sphere rather than a flat surface (in other words move your hand from side to side as if your passing your hand around the top of a beach ball infront of you) this way the colour coat gets a better dispersal and in the case of metallics a much better dispersal of flake).

9. wet sand flat and lacquer or polish to shine (dependant on what finish you want)

If your not after a reflective finish and would rather emulate a powder coat type finish then just spray as you would normally, as a flat dull finish isnt as dispersal dependant as a gloss finish.

Thanks Dreamer...thats detailed more than enough for me thanks :thumb:

Just one question - how do i circle a wheel thats flat on the floor, while spraying? ?( Will i need a helping hand lol

the wheels obviously off the car and you yourself move around the wheel while spraying side to side across the widest part of the alloy....you dont need a walk through on "walking" or "circling" surely??? :blink:

Thanks Dreamer...thats detailed more than enough for me thanks :thumb:

Just one question - how do i circle a wheel thats flat on the floor, while spraying? ?( Will i need a helping hand lol

the wheels obviously off the car and you yourself move around the wheel while spraying side to side across the widest part of the alloy....you dont need a walk through on "walking" or "circling" surely??? :blink:

Yes please. I've mastered crawling and laying down, but walking an issue.

OK i get it now. I read 'circle the wheel' as spin the wheel on the floor, whilst spraying it. But makes more sense to circle the wheel yourself.

Cheers mate :cheers:

Edited by TC-DNB