Home security

geordie_aaron

Peewee whats illegal about recording other peoples property?

It's a grey area if not for business purposes & hard to uphold. People have a right of privacy upon their own property and the right to be not under 24hr surveilance by a member of the public with no legal need to be recording them. Im sure you wouldn't want my camera pointing at your home 24/7 and recording your every move. The law is their to protect you if you indeed protest it.

PeeWees right, my dad received an official verbal warning off the local rozzers when living in greater sankey over PeeWees way, his neighbour had been chuckin stuff over my dads back fence (and we aint talking bits of random trash.....a feckin fridge came over at one point!)

my dad being a Leeds born and bred orphanage brat wanted to deal with it as it was done in the old days (in other words a solution would have been reached with the use of some wood chocks and a largish lump hammer and the offenders knee joints) however my stuck up sister convinced him to go through legal channels and gather evidence of the criminal acts.

my dad stuck a cheapo camera up in one of the upstairs windows and connected it to an old vhs recorder, sure enough the stuff kept coming over the fence in very clear colour video, my very smug uppish sister felt vindicated and had my dad ring the rozzers who were expecting to be handed a "incident booklet" listing the times and dates of the acts but instead were greeted by my sister brandishing the video and demanding immediate action.

they watched the video and (much imo due to my sisters arrogant constant demands) informed my dad that due to the images recorded showing a significant chunk of the neighbours garden (there was a exact measurement stated but I was not present at the time) and that my sister had already admitted that they had not asked permission of the offending neighbour to record his image on his own property, my dad was now liable to be prosecuted under the invasion of privacy act if the neighbour became aware of the camera and placed a written complaint about it.

They eventually ignored my sisters raving about police injustice and how much a joke the local constabulary was (thank god) and offered to only give my dad a verbal warning aslong as the camera was removed immediately or repositioned so as to not intrude upon neighbours property and therefore rendering the point of the camera worthless.

as a rule they said that IF your camera is positioned in any way as to be recording another persons property you MUST have permission of the said person to do so by law and are liable much as my dad was to prosecution otherwise.

Its another one of those laws that cut both way.

you catch a criminal act on video then get done for recording it without permission.

its almost as ridiculous as these poor feckers that get done when they catch some little thievin scummer scrote robbin their house and beat the shite out of him only to be sued later for personal injury by the same little pikey feck.

I have a SIA Security licence I will get back to you when I've found my training book, just to make sure I'm telling you the right things , law and what you need to display. I'm sure that if your recording you need to log the times.. Tape was started, times if you have removed the tape. Those are the main ones but you need to do these if you want it to stand up in court if anything happens. You have to do this because it shows you have handled the evidence correctly and shows there is no tampering with evidence. If your recording the general public you need to display a sign of who the camera is run by and what for eg prevention of crime. On the sign you need a contact address, phone number. Not 100% sure but for companys, business you need qualified people (CCTV licence) to watch and record probally because of the way the footage has to be time stamped so they can give legitimate evidence to court police etc . Don't know if it's the same for home security....

I have a SIA Security licence I will get back to you when I've found my training book, just to make sure I'm telling you the right things , law and what you need to display. I'm sure that if your recording you need to log the times.. Tape was started, times if you have removed the tape. Those are the main ones but you need to do these if you want it to stand up in court if anything happens. You have to do this because it shows you have handled the evidence correctly and shows there is no tampering with evidence. If your recording the general public you need to display a sign of who the camera is run by and what for eg prevention of crime. On the sign you need a contact address, phone number. Not 100% sure but for companys, business you need qualified people (CCTV licence) to watch and record probally because of the way the footage has to be time stamped so they can give legitimate evidence to court police etc . Don't know if it's the same for home security....

just to clear the end up as it was not clear ....need qualified people (CCTV licence) not sure if it's a private home security you might not need one? :S

Business and personal surveilance is different. You dont need a licence for personal use but there is certain guidlines if the camera isnt pointed at your own property like displaying signs informing people its there and abiding by any objection if your camra covers anothers property (no need to say who owns the cctv).

From that distance Aaron theres simple things they can do without even comming close to the camera to disable it from seeing who they are or what they are doing.

In which case I would think youd be aswell off with a dummy one, but get a large one.

My old man put a dummy camera up with a red flashing light after some scum nicked his race bike out the garage.

No trouble since :thumb:

PS your neighbours sound like a *BOC!

*Bunch of cnuts! :innocent:

Peewee whats illegal about recording other peoples property?

It's a grey area if not for business purposes & hard to uphold. People have a right of privacy upon their own property and the right to be not under 24hr surveilance by a member of the public with no legal need to be recording them. Im sure you wouldn't want my camera pointing at your home 24/7 and recording your every move. The law is their to protect you if you indeed protest it.

But then you can look at it from the journalist point of view. It isn't illegal to film or take pictures of anything, if you are on someone property and they ask you to stop then you have to or if you are on MOD property but if you aren't on their property you can film what you like. But then there is also the terrorism act that they use too. I would wonder what would win.

Just an FYI not trying to argue with you just curious to see what other legal barriers it comes upon. Its actually quite interesting.