Here's one for ya,

RobMk6

Driving on/in snow and ice?

as an example, my white one will generally go anywhere on snow and ice, can mess about, sideways throught junctions etc, perfectly useable up/down steep ice covered hills (I live on a big farm complex wherew we have our own small road network so never gets gritted, and the roads that lead to our are so minor they never get gritted either).... yet use my aunts car (a rover 45 1400) and it will hardly move on a flat surface?

use my mothers car, which is a 1400TDi 206, and again it'll go anywhere-ish.

I'm not talking about 4x4 or RWD, although feel free to discuss RWD here......

I'm feeling it may be down to gear ratios and the rolling radius of the wheels, again affecting gearing, as mine has 17inch rims my aunts has 14.

Discuss..............

Edited by RobMk6

can be dozens of factors that contribute to what you describe.

weight distribution across the chassis

torque production

tyre width, inflation, tread, depth

general stance

camber

toe

engine bhp and transmission to road wheels

gear ratio (as you said)

driver skill level and experience with specific vehicle

the list go's on and on and on........could you have picked a more diverse discussion point??? :pancake:

general stance

camber

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2760/4065832984_13507b931d_b.jpg

?? :pancake:

Also I did say discuss :D

That would probably help grip on ice...

There are plenty of variables and i certainly wouldnt factor "how a car drives on ice/snow" when looking to buy a car, so you'll just have to drive the car you have as best you can. But the general things are

Narrower tyres are better than wider tyres

Winter tyres are better than summer tyres

Deeper tread is better than shallow tread (worn tyres)

Heavier vehicles are better than light vehicles

FWD is better than RWD, but 4WD is better than both

So the worst vehicle to use would be a lightweight RWD car with tyres as wide as a Veyrons, and a good vehicle would be a diesel powered hatchback with 4 fat b*stards and steelies

But...my car does fine, so im not bothered

Anything front engined, rear wheel drive without LSD and 205 - 235 mm summer tyres and with some annoying traction control (1 series in another words) is the worst possible setup to drive on snow.

BTW: I "admire" people who talk about driving on ice. There is no driving on ice without studded tyres.

Indeed original Mini is a hoot on snowy surface. Just glides over. Saying that I think that MK5/6 is a really good winter car, provided it has the right type of footwear obviously.

With artics it's all about having full load pressing down on a driven axle, lock the diff, select a low gear, get optimum revs and don't steer or brake :) Then you might get up the hill. Unit on it's own is absolutely lost on snow. With rigids the best you can get (forgeting army MAN's or Unimog's) is double drive 8-wheeler with cross axle diff locks and crashbox - no grip lost, but it doesn't steer that good :mellow:

I hadn't started this thread as i was wanting to buy a car or anything of that manner,

just having tried the 3 different cars thought it would make a good discussion point....

Anything front engined, rear wheel drive without LSD and 205 - 235 mm summer tyres and with some annoying traction control (1 series in another words) is the worst possible setup to drive on snow.

BTW: I "admire" people who talk about driving on ice. There is no driving on ice without studded tyres.

Just noticed your from Pembroke, whereabouts?

Heavier vehicles are better than light vehicles

I don't think heavier vehicles = better in the snow.

The amount or little corsa and mini's etc. i've seen flying up the outside lane is crazy, then you get all these ton weight lorrys getting stuck.

Its all about the weight pressing the tyre down onto the surface, same with mud and dirt. But obviously with an up hill gradient a heavy vehicle will have gravity trying to pull it back down a hill that offers little traction, So the weight is a double edged sword

I have learnt that the BMW 1 series is possibly the worst car in the snow, some of this maybe due to BMW drivers thinking they know it all. However when I push your car up the road then jump in mine and just drive off ;)

This has been my Dad this last week, 1 series hasnt been great... apart from the know it all bit! Wasnt able to reverse out of the garage and up the slope of the driveway for 2 or 3 days... had to borrow my sister's Almera!