Reversing lights

mclovin9091

As above my cars due for its yearly health check and was wondering if anyone (preferably a qualled mechanic) can confirm that its still NOT a fail if the reverse lights are not working? Or have they changed this yet?

Only asking due to mine (obviously) not working but cannot seem to find the fault. (need to check the gearbox switch)

cheers

not a testable item. only rear reflectors bud. :cheers:

are you 100% on that?, I got a advisory for a flickering one on my old Gsi Astra (which tbf I never fixed)

I was under the impression they only issued advisories on mot applicable items?

positive bud

Are you sure it was for a reversing light?? not numberplate light??

All lights should be working if fitted anyway as a rule of thumb

definetly reverse light as the jobsworth dived in my motor to demonstrate it (tbh it was flashing like a strobe)

that was right before he decided it was ok to wheel spin my Gsi all the way out the garage. :rolleyes:

Suppose its a bit like fogs or spare tyre. If its fitted it can be tested? If not then its not legal to have it there?

In your case shaw, then if it was flickering then its a possible hazzard.

The MOT is a safety test not a mechanical one.

Edited by PeeWee

Suppose its a bit like fogs or spare tyre. If its fitted it can be tested? If not then its not legal to have it there?

In your case shaw, then if it was flickering then its a possible hazzard.

The MOT is a safety test not a mechanical one.

Its not a case of its not required to be there, its more of an aid for the driver where-as the lights in general are for other road users to see you. Other road users can still see you whether you have a reverse light or not.

The way mot's are and are going, im surprised its not on the testers schedule, but its obv not important enough.

You could end up getting a fine or a VDRS off the police....

Yes you'd get a producer from the police, but then thats cause theyve got fook all else to do. Tech if your driving during daylight hours only, you dont need any lights whatsoever. :cheers:

Reverse lights are not part of the test, And never have been. If they were illuminated all the time that would be a fail. At most if a tester checked it, It would be an advisory. If you were failed on them appeal straight away as they dont have a leg to stand on.

As said before i don't have the guidelines for the MOT but it could be down to the testers interpretation of the rules, such as:

"all warning lights and indicators must work/function correctly."

One person may class the reverse lights as a warning or indicator light whereas another may read it to the letter and only check the warning lights and indicators.

I was just wanting to check that they hadn't changed the ruling/guidelines on this, as im quite surprised they havent already. If cars are being failed for no reverse lights is there an MOT tester here who has done so? and why was that?

cheers

not a testable item. only rear reflectors bud. :cheers:

im not 100% on that, i work in a car garage and we had a car fail its mot on no reverse lights, 9 times put of 10 its the bulbs but check the switch at the gearbox just to make sure

Ask your tester under what point in the manual does it mention reverse lights??

Ive got the manual to hand and cant find it anywhere, (there is a chance im blind tho)

Manual states the following sections:~

Front and rear position lamps and registration plate lamps

Stop lamps

Rear Fog Lamps

Direction indicators and hazard warning devices

Rear reflectors

Audible Warning (Horn)

Headlamps

Headlamp aim

If in doubt, google it! :thumb: