Powersteering leak I think

Naylor2006

Not so long ago i notcied a horrible fuuurrrrururururrrrururbub noise from my power steering, checked the fluid and it barely had any. Topped up, problem solved until around 9 days later when it was low again, so i shoved in some of that halfords leak fixing fluid which im not sure to be honest if it did anything, im still filling up every 7-9 days.

Couple of things to mention is that at idle when the car is warm you can smell the fluid im sure either burning away or leaking onto something hot. I thought this could be the motor burning the fluid off which is why it smells.

Either way I cant seem to find a leak and I dont want to have Mr Garage Mechanic charge 3000 pounds for a new motor or to find the leak if anyone on here can help me in my investigation.

Many thanks guys

Not so long ago i notcied a horrible fuuurrrrururururrrrururbub noise from my power steering, checked the fluid and it barely had any. Topped up, problem solved until around 9 days later when it was low again, so i shoved in some of that halfords leak fixing fluid which im not sure to be honest if it did anything, im still filling up every 7-9 days.

Couple of things to mention is that at idle when the car is warm you can smell the fluid im sure either burning away or leaking onto something hot. I thought this could be the motor burning the fluid off which is why it smells.

Either way I cant seem to find a leak and I dont want to have Mr Garage Mechanic charge 3000 pounds for a new motor or to find the leak if anyone on here can help me in my investigation.

Many thanks guys

must be leaking some where get it up in the air and have a good look at the rack sounds like its leaking on the exhaust :thumb:

Thanks guys.

What's weird is there is never any fluid on the floor for me to find. I'm sure it's burning away, just have to have a better look. I don't think I have the cooling coil, all my ps gear is on the left, your pic shows the right hand side and I'm pretty sure I've followed the pipes.

Confirmed that I can only smell it once the car is warm and stationary.

• 1 month later...
Thanks guys.

What's weird is there is never any fluid on the floor for me to find. I'm sure it's burning away, just have to have a better look. I don't think I have the cooling coil, all my ps gear is on the left, your pic shows the right hand side and I'm pretty sure I've followed the pipes.

Confirmed that I can only smell it once the car is warm and stationary.

DOH!

The power steering leak is coming from the rack its self :(, gonna be expensive no doubt