Huskies

keith83

Hi guys

Firstly hope you all had a good Xmas and happy new year

Right back to the topic my misses said I can get a Husky as I have wanted one for years so been looking and found a few possibilities.

Does anyone here own one or have any information about them they are a lovely looking dog but unsure on their behaviour I know alot of it comes down to training them as a pup but are they a family dog we have 4 children one of which is only 2 the others are between 10 and 14 we also have a jack russel which we have had for 2 years and gets on fine with the kids and loves our 2 yr old the most they got some special bond.

Any information about huskies would be greatly received.

Hi guys

Firstly hope you all had a good Xmas and happy new year

Right back to the topic my misses said I can get a Husky as I have wanted one for years so been looking and found a few possibilities.

Does anyone here own one or have any information about them they are a lovely looking dog but unsure on their behaviour I know alot of it comes down to training them as a pup but are they a family dog we have 4 children one of which is only 2 the others are between 10 and 14 we also have a jack russel which we have had for 2 years and gets on fine with the kids and loves our 2 yr old the most they got some special bond.

Any information about huskies would be greatly received.

highly intelligent, territorial and not easily controlled without strong training and well established hierarchy in the home.....there as close to the wolf a domestic dog comes.

My uncle used to breed pure wolfs, wolf dogs (that's huskie and wolf) and pure huskies for a fair few years (also chipmunks but that's an entirely different story) right uptil the laws became more stringent and throttled his business out the market (some of his wolfs were re-introduced into the wild aswell as for zoo's).

He used to say there was very little difference in personality between the breeds (though he did say the wolf dogs could be even more difficult to control) and that they both needed a strong leader to control the pack or the individual (whether that Alpha was human or another of their kind didn't really matter).

it was quite clear to even my untrained eye at the time that the Huskie was more hierarchy dependant than a average domestic dog (It was more pack orientated and looked for leadership naturally)

so, aslong as your willing to devote time to training and discipline with a determined strong will Id say you should be fine (which isn't much different than owning most any dog), your primary concern will be to establish the dogs rank in the household (much as it would in a pack) and make it understand that its place is beneath the human members.

put it this was..... girl down the street is 5ft nothing, her fella is 6ft'ish........their Huge Akita obeys her and not him, which is highly comical :roll:

I've got 2 Sibes and they are brilliant, very friendly, quite and loving

I would expect it would be the same as bringing any other dog into the household, problems being:

1, Dogs not getting on with each other,

2, having the time to train a puppy,

3, the size they can grow to,

4, more food, vets bills, replacement of chewed items

More with huskies,

1, Do you have a well secured garden? i.e. at least a 8ft fence (6ft above ground and 2ft under)

2, time to take them out for a good walk/run/bike ride

3, do plenty of research and dont take one persons example/reason for doing something.

4, DO NOT put them on high protein/energy food there is no need for the additional cost and the dog will just be hyperactive and may chew/destroy a lot of things. (see 3)

5, they shed quite a lot of hair (apparently only twice a year)

Although you may be able to train them off the lead when young be aware that they naturally would like to go out and hunt. If they get the chance when they are older to go off for a walk/exploring themselves they will do it. They learn things quickly but will again decide to do what they please at times.

Check here for some info: http://www.siberianhuskyclub.com/ (if you haven't already) and at the end of they day my two are the best looking dogs in the world!

My martial arts instructor has 2. They are brothers are the most friendly pair of dogs I know, just very excitable. I believe he walks them 2-4 times a day, usually out on his runs too. He said they took quite a bit of training though but well worth it. My missus wants one when we move into a proper house which I'm fine with as she used to always bang on about getting shitty little dogs like chichuas (sp? Lol) and that. No chance haha

HI guys and thanks for the info I have had a read of all the posts and found them to be very helpful and suprising to be honest I was unsure how people would react to me considering getting a dog of this type with having children as there has been alot of bad press with dogs over the last 12 months luckly not the breed I am interested in.

I believe it really comes down to respecting the dog but also showing it that I am in charge and it obeys me not the other way round.

the training and walks ect will not be a problem as we got loads of places to walk around here and I take our jack out all the time twice a day when I am working and 3 times on weekends love playing ball.

So I feel I am willing to dedicate my time to it as it is something I have wanted for many years thanks again for the info and if there is anything anyone wishes to add please feel free to do so as I said before any info welcome and if anyone know where I can get one that would be a great help as I am awear there are loads of dodge breeders out there

HI guys and thanks for the info I have had a read of all the posts and found them to be very helpful and suprising to be honest I was unsure how people would react to me considering getting a dog of this type with having children as there has been alot of bad press with dogs over

people are stupid, individuals are clever.

all this shite you hear about "dangerous violent killer dogs" is utter bullshite...... its the trainer that's responsible for a dangerous dog and not the animal itself......and I even include the dogs covered by the UK's dangerous dog act.

Take staffies for example...... "OH NO THEIR FIGHTING DOGS AND VICIOUS, IVE READ THE STORIES IN THE PAPER" :rolleyes:

their not, the owners who train them to fight or fail to train them atall are the true animals.

I personally trust a well trained Staff around my young disabled son more than Id trust a small pointless dog like a yorkie or terrier (especially as such dogs are pampered and ill trained by dim witted women who wanted one as a fashion accessory and therefore nurture bad behavior and habits in the animal rather than disciplining it).

My albino Staffie, English cross female is bred from two of the most bad pressed dog breeds in the UK and despite that she is by far the best dog to have round my son when trained correctly (and dare I say the best dog to have your kids grow up with) simply because she is careful, gentle, obedient and worse comes to worse protective of her pack despite being the lowest rank in it.

My point is.

Training..

Training...

Training....

....makes a good dog!

Don't get a dog if your not willing to put the effort in required to give both yourself and the animal a fair a decent life.....it'll be cruel on you aswell as the animal.