Where's the fcuking money!?

Craig855S

For someone who wasnt affected (pretty much) by the recession I'm confused by just how it got this bad? How could the government end up owing "give or take" a Trillion pounds? [and for that matter, who do they owe it too, i'd just print more if i was them....]

Yes I know they bailed a couple of banks out, but in doing so they've now made it so that budgets have been cut left right and centre, and taxes have risen over recent years, payrises have been pretty much none existant, just how many people (as a %) lost their jobs during the recession meaning less money in the pot?

When do they plan on paying off this £1,000,000,000,000 debt? Do they ever plan on getting the debt to zero? How much tax would we have to pay to run this country the way we'd like it to be run without going into debt?

Currently I'm paying this much in tax (that i can think of)

20% of 29,000 (-6 grand from my tax code) (so about 5 grand a year in income tax)

National insurance from my 29,000 salary (aint got a payslip to hand but i think thats about 2-2.5k a year)

20% on everything I buy, meaning that of the 18 grand a year I get after tax another £3600 goes to the government

TV license (which is what these days? £140 this year, and no doubt 150 next?)

Fuel duty..Apparently 60p (give or take a penny or two) per litre of my fuel goes to the government, along with the VAT from the fuel+fuel duty cost

Road tax, £180 a year, goes to the government (not for highway maintenance...)

So of the 29k a yea I'm paid from government funds, they're getting pretty much half of it straight back... Rant over

This is the biggest can of worms that ive seen on here in ages, and the list of answers to your questions is as long as your arm. In short though, most of your money goes into running the countries services such as health, education and benefits.. all things that as an average working class man you probably dont even see. The fact that as a country we dont produce anything industrially anymore doesnt help our trade defecit either.

Oh, and im not sure if you were joking about the governemt just printing more money :pancake: but all that would achieve is to reduce the value of the pound, which puts us back at square one.

Edited by eetaylog

I wasn't going to post again on here due to the unmoderated (or under-moderated) racism and fascism, but you are a spastic, plain and simple. I am angry at the government, fcuking raging in fact, that my taxes, and my parent's taxes put people like you though a minimum of 10 years of schooling, and they still come out like neanderthals.

From someone that earns a living doing a job that IMO is expendable, you have a cheek to complain at all, let about complain about paying a TV licence to the government (you don't, by the way).

Read this, for one TINY example of why you pay such taxes - http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/newsroo...splantation.jsp

God forbid, should one of your close family require a kidney transplant, it could potentially cost more to keep treat them than you can earn in your lifetime, but you'd DEMAND the government helped.

I like you, Craig, as a poster on here for many years, but honestly, don't be so ridiculous.

I wasn't going to post again on here due to the unmoderated (or under-moderated) racism and fascism, but you are a spastic, plain and simple. I am angry at the government, fcuking raging in fact, that my taxes, and my parent's taxes put people like you though a minimum of 10 years of schooling, and they still come out like neanderthals.

From someone that earns a living doing a job that IMO is expendable, you have a cheek to complain at all, let about complain about paying a TV licence to the government (you don't, by the way).

Read this, for one TINY example of why you pay such taxes - http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/newsroo...splantation.jsp

God forbid, should one of your close family require a kidney transplant, it could potentially cost more to keep treat them than you can earn in your lifetime, but you'd DEMAND the government helped.

I like you, Craig, as a poster on here for many years, but honestly, don't be so ridiculous.

F*cking hell, hows it going sid?! Knew youd be back, its been way too quiet lately.

F*cking hell, hows it going sid?! Knew youd be back, its been way too quiet lately.

Alright chief, things are good :) Really good! Hope things are okay your end.

I'm not back though. I've been watching, and probably will for a while.

The underlying issues on this forum will always remain, sadly, but I guess that makes it what it is.

The underlying issues on this forum will always remain, sadly, but I guess that makes it what it is.

Unfortunatly it's hard to be judge and jury as a single moderator, there's many time you can get shot down for polite PM's never mind control the various topics without becoming a hitler.

Can never please everyone though (but that doesn't mean I don't understand where your coming from).

Boy, you got a bit of delay, don't you ? :unsure:

I mean it's over 3 and 1/2 years since the start and more than 2 years after the worst happend.

If you want to know how it REALLY works - you have to read A LOT.

Very unpopular suggestion these days, I know...

You can start with - Whoops!: Why everyone owes everyone and no one can pay

It's not a topic that can be covered in 5 minutes and what's more, most people will never understand world of finance. My brain certainly refuses to believe some stuff.... It's better that way.

I wasn't going to post again on here due to the unmoderated (or under-moderated) racism and fascism, but you are a spastic, plain and simple.

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/25958.jpg

Seriously, welcome back... :pancake:

Yes, the government pays out a lot... but being a bunch of wise cracking idiots which we as a nation [sort of] voted into power, they should have the brains to work out exactly what it pays for (excluding huge MP wages and second homes for the brother of the uncle of the mother of the auntie of the MPs) then based on the population (rounded up slightly to work on deaths/births/immigrants/illegals etc) work how much cash flow needs to come from the nation in taxation to cover costs. Then simply add an extra 1-2% to cover emergency situations such as war/disease outbreak.

Fairly simple really... It's how business works and that's how the government needs to be on the cash flow. A Not-for-profit business.

In reality the government would rather spend funds that do not exist on crap policies which in the long run effect people and the nation's morale negatively along with useless junk. All whilst sitting back with a huge salary in a large house, sipping the tears of the homeless with a dash of Coke thinking "What recession..."

Edited by smithyandco

Unfortunatly it's hard to be judge and jury as a single moderator, there's many time you can get shot down for polite PM's never mind control the various topics without becoming a hitler.

Can never please everyone though (but that doesn't mean I don't understand where your coming from).

I hope you don't take what I said personally. I wasn't having a go at you at all, and wouldn't.

I understand how things work here. Perhaps I didn't for a while, and thought I might get backup from higher up when fighting a one-man (sometimes there was support, but you'll see that they rarely post now either, probably for similar reasons), but I realise that if admin/mods alienate spastics, then the forum would soon die.

I hope you don't take what I said personally. I wasn't having a go at you at all, and wouldn't.

I understand how things work here. Perhaps I didn't for a while, and thought I might get backup from higher up when fighting a one-man (sometimes there was support, but you'll see that they rarely post now either, probably for similar reasons), but I realise that if admin/mods alienate spastics, then the forum would soon die.

I will admit I looked twice then realised the content in full but no I didnt take it personaly. In my day job part of it is teaching equality and diversity but I can't fully implement such things here as it would be taken as personal and missunderstood.

I wasn't going to post again on here due to the unmoderated (or under-moderated) racism and fascism, but you are a spastic, plain and simple.

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/25958.jpg

Seriously, welcome back... :pancake:

Yes, the government pays out a lot... but being a bunch of wise cracking idiots which we as a nation [sort of] voted into power, they should have the brains to work out exactly what it pays for (excluding huge MP wages and second homes for the brother of the uncle of the mother of the auntie of the MPs) then based on the population (rounded up slightly to work on deaths/births/immigrants/illegals etc) work how much cash flow needs to come from the nation in taxation to cover costs. Then simply add an extra 1-2% to cover emergency situations such as war/disease outbreak.

Fairly simple really... It's how business works and that's how the government needs to be on the cash flow. A Not-for-profit business.

In reality the government would rather spend funds that do not exist on crap policies which in the long run effect people and the nation's morale negatively along with useless junk. All whilst sitting back with a huge salary in a large house, sipping the tears of the homeless with a dash of Coke thinking "What recession..."

Nice one :-\

We had a similar debate when the election was due, and despite Trig and myself rarely declaring allegiance, we saidchanging government was a very, very bad idea. The Sun readers thought otherwise and welcomed in our 'saviours', expecting a quick fix. On a scale this grand, there is no such thing (depsite you detailing a 'business for dummies 101' within two - very questionable - sentences).

I will admit I looked twice then realised the content in full but no I didnt take it personaly. In my day job part of it is teaching equality and diversity but I can't fully implement such things here as it would be taken as personal and missunderstood.

Again, this isn't personal, but morally, if someone says something bigoted or racially prejudiced in a public forum (whether it be a town hall or an internet board), I'd challenge them and try to educate them in the errors of their ways.

That doesn't happen here. In fact, due to the lack of racists and bigots being told to GTF, they're practically encouraged.

Hi sidrick :thumb:

this is quite a lolrifick post Craig, but its not beyond the realms of your usual muppetry. This problem is far greater then the numbers and its not going to go away any time soon

Alright, boss? Managed to flog the crashed car I see :cheers:

By eck, you've returned.

Flying visit. Aaron mentioned getting a car from Aberdeen to Newcastle and that he had tried to contact me, so I thought I could help. I'm nice like that.