Mondeo ST220

eetaylog

I would wager that the TDCI is just as quick in gear in most situations as the petrol one. It has a massive amount of torque.

But I'm with a couple of others above, I cannot see any reason at all that you'd buy a 2dr coupe with kids on the way. I don't think you can possibly estimate how much shite you might end up carrying about with kids. My brother had a baby last year and they have no end of stuff around.

The E46 is a decent car, don't get me wrong, but it's dated now in my eyes, and the boot space isn't amazing compared to a lot of others, nor is the rear cabin space in my experience of them. Then you have the fact that you have a big metal parcel shelf in the way. Buy a Mondeo hatch and you can get stuff into it so easily, and they're plenty spacious inside. I've owned loads of saloon cars and they're a pain in the arse compared to a hatchback.

With kids on the way, a car with 5drs is the most logical choice, and would be far easier to live with.

The boot on mine is absolutely massive (470L, vs 300l [e46 saloon], 410l [e46 coupe], 450l [st220 saloon], 460l [mondeo hatch]), and even I miss the practicality of a hatchback, and I dont even need to haul prams around.

Im agreeing with the others, buying a 2dr coupe would be bonkers.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think id leave the v6 petrol engine alone tbh as its super juicy apparently (even more so than the 330ci). Im tempted by the mondy tdci though, but despite lots and lots of torque they dont seem to be too quick. can anyone confirm?

As with most diesels, it won't feel, or seem "quick" and diesels arent the kind of car you "rag around"

Where they are quick is when you find yourself behind a slow moving car/lorry/whatever and wanna whoosh past without having an engine screaming at you.4th gear at 45MPH and foot flat down, safe overtaking!!

And with nippers in the car, you'll won't be driving a big engined petrol car hard, so you'll be getting sub 30MPG and going nowhere fast, in comparison to a good diesel which will see you 55+MPG and be just as "quick" when it comes to a little squirt of overtaking. Only 12 months ago I wanted after a V8 family car, that lasted well.

the 2 dr 4/5dr thing is personal preference... sure if you both get knocked out the kid isn't going to be able to undo the door and get out... but if they are under 5 then you'd have the child locks on anyway for safety surely? its academic

my last post was a bit off as i had had a fair few cans of lager so apologys but i'd still recommend the mondeo hatch as a good all round car, if your going to potter most of the time you'll get over 30mpg without paying the initial buying premium for a diesel and without having potential injector/pump problems which easily run into thousands of pounds! what about the 2.0 its fairly sprightly in the mk3? what craig says about torque and general driving is true the diesel won't feel fast in normal driving nor will it sound good or rev well. however is every journey going to be made with wife and kids in tow? if so buy yourself a sensible modern 5 door hatch with a shite engine and potter around and get yourself a cheap toy for when you want to "drive" or what about a sports car for the second motor plenty of stuff for < £3000 that'd put a smile on your face everytime you drive it

the 2 dr 4/5dr thing is personal preference... sure if you both get knocked out the kid isn't going to be able to undo the door and get out... but if they are under 5 then you'd have the child locks on anyway for safety surely? its academic

personally, I was referring to rescuers getting IN :)

Jesus, this is the most depressing thread ive ever read. i never thought id have to 'potter' or that id be buying a car based on boot space or that id be recommended a 'nice saab 93'. This kid had better be worth it.

In all seriousness though, my missus has a 5 door car anyway so its not as if this is going to be our only option. Having said that though im also quite liking the look of the 3 series estates, though again id probably go for the diesel as the straight 6 diesel engines are meant to be superb...

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/25969.jpg

Now thats a proper dads car.

Wildcard???

I saw one of these on mike brewers "auto trader" today (filmed years ago) and thought it would be quite a nice family wagon. It'd have to be the type-S though with the nice bumper and wheels

All this talk of family wagons is making me want to get a new car come next month when my insurance is up. May switch to the V70

Edited by Craig855S

Wildcard???

I saw one of these on mike brewers "auto trader" today (filmed years ago) and thought it would be quite a nice family wagon. It'd have to be the type-S though with the nice bumper and wheels

All this talk of family wagons is making me want to get a new car come next month when my insurance is up. May switch to the V70

Deary me, that's fugly.

Or an A4 avant...?

Audi A4's are way more expensive than bmws tourers arent they?

Probably, but you never told us how much you wanted to spend in the first place.

I said that because scorted said that buying a bmw is just paying for the badge. My budget is £6k by the way.

Wildcard???

Do not want!