Mondeo ST220

eetaylog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should think £6k would probably get you a pretty late ST TDCI in very good order. What sort of E46 would you get for that dollar? I can't imagine it would be as new?

Affirmative, the e46s in my price range are generally 02 plates. Though it tends not to matter too much mechanically as theyre just warming up when they hit the 100k mark.

I should think £6k would probably get you a pretty late ST TDCI in very good order. What sort of E46 would you get for that dollar? I can't imagine it would be as new?

Affirmative, the e46s in my price range are generally 02 plates. Though it tends not to matter too much mechanically as theyre just warming up when they hit the 100k mark.

2002 BMW or 2006/7 Mondeo? Why are you even considering buying a nine year old car with that comparison? :unsure:

Just goes to show how much a badge still costs. My brother has a Mazda 6 by the way, really nice motor. I think I'd struggle to buy anything other than an ST TDCI, or maybe even a Titanium X TDCI. I definately wouldn't be spending £6k on a nine year old 3 series!

4k buy a nice Mondeo TDCi estate, and bank the 2k :)

I much prefer the hatchback and theyre probably plenty big enough for what ill need tbh.

fair point, my comment still stands.

Can't see any point in buying a top model though, when a 'Zetec' has just about everything :)

2002 BMW or 2006/7 Mondeo? Why are you even considering buying a nine year old car with that comparison? :unsure:

Just goes to show how much a badge still costs. My brother has a Mazda 6 by the way, really nice motor. I think I'd struggle to buy anything other than an ST TDCI, or maybe even a Titanium X TDCI. I definately wouldn't be spending £6k on a nine year old 3 series!

Although theyre 9 years old, 60k examples are still pretty common, and if you find a decent one the build quality of bmw's is far superior so id say theyre definately still worth a look.

I wouldn't say it's all that amazing. Mate of mine has an E46. When he got it at 100k, the interior was looking a bit tired, it didn't seem to wear ever so well. Carpet was worn. He's done another 30k in it, it's had to have a replacement engine in that time, despite him looking after it well. It's had several niggly little problems, looks really dated inside and out and is generally falling apart a bit to be honest.

I really don't see the obsession with BMW build quality as, to my knowledge, the E46 isn't exactly amazing. I certainly wouldn't say it's shockingly better than a MK3 Mondeo by any means.

I wouldn't say it's all that amazing. Mate of mine has an E46. When he got it at 100k, the interior was looking a bit tired, it didn't seem to wear ever so well. Carpet was worn. He's done another 30k in it, it's had to have a replacement engine in that time, despite him looking after it well. It's had several niggly little problems, looks really dated inside and out and is generally falling apart a bit to be honest.

I really don't see the obsession with BMW build quality as, to my knowledge, the E46 isn't exactly amazing. I certainly wouldn't say it's shockingly better than a MK3 Mondeo by any means.

Exactly my point. People seem to rave about the BMW build quality (and VAG too, whilst we're on it), but I've NEVER seen anything to back up their claims? Surely there is some proof other than hearsay and conjecture?

The e36 was supposedly more solid than the e46.

game, set and match; buy yourself a mondeo hatch.. either

>go diesel and risk a monster repair bill but get good economy and reasonable pace

>go for 2.0 petrol get moderate performance and economy

>go for the 220 and get good pace and not great economy (especially when being frapped) and the noise!

which ever its practical safe inexpensive (baring diesel problems) good motor all round

Im tempted by the mondy tdci though, but despite lots and lots of torque they dont seem to be too quick. can anyone confirm?

search youtube for mondeo tdci vs ,

Thats not really fair hezz.....that TDCI has other videos of it beating porsches lol

I think it was about 200bhp :innocent:

The ST TDCi is a very very good car, but can be very expensive to fix

game, set and match; buy yourself a mondeo hatch.. either

>go diesel and risk a monster repair bill but get good economy and reasonable pace

>go for 2.0 petrol get moderate performance and economy

>go for the 220 and get good pace and not great economy (especially when being frapped) and the noise!

which ever its practical safe inexpensive (baring diesel problems) good motor all round

I know for a fact that youre right as a guy i work with had a £600 bill for a new clutch on his diesel vw bora last month, but what is it about diesels thats so expensive on repairs?