Mondeo ST220

eetaylog

dual mass flywheels - really good for the drive etc of the big modern diesels however very expensive when they fail - unlike traditional flywheels they don't tend to last beyond 60k - 100k as they're basically two flywheels (dual mass) that do more to smooth the power/torque delivery out and are connected by springs. modern common rail engines also have injectors that tend to cost around £1000 each new and pumps that are really really expensive

go for a hoon in a 2.0 petrol zetec mk3 - not a stately test drive, and actual hoon it will surprise you. that said if 35mpg on a long steady run and mid to low twenties around town and when punching it is bearable the 220 is a good car

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all MK3 Mondeos have dual mass flywheels fitted, along with most other newer cars of that size. I don't think it matters too much what you buy, the clutch change will be pricey in most cases these days, you just have to live with it really. Just buy a low miler, or buy one with it already done!

I think all MK3 Mondeos have dual mass flywheels fitted, along with most other newer cars of that size. I don't think it matters too much what you buy, the clutch change will be pricey in most cases these days, you just have to live with it really. Just buy a low miler, or buy one with it already done!

A low miler isnt always the best bet.....it might have only done city driving, where as one with high miles may go on for longer because its not stop starting all the time. But as you said go for one thats already had the DMF done :) i know for a fact that all the bits alone cost about £400 and thats before getting it fitted.

For £6k, you'll be able to get a decent BMW 3 Series M Sport, possibly the coupe as well. They've really shot down recently and my car has already lost about £4k of it's value in the last year! Definitely the time to buy :)

I wouldn't say it's all that amazing. Mate of mine has an E46. When he got it at 100k, the interior was looking a bit tired, it didn't seem to wear ever so well. Carpet was worn. He's done another 30k in it, it's had to have a replacement engine in that time, despite him looking after it well. It's had several niggly little problems, looks really dated inside and out and is generally falling apart a bit to be honest.

I really don't see the obsession with BMW build quality as, to my knowledge, the E46 isn't exactly amazing. I certainly wouldn't say it's shockingly better than a MK3 Mondeo by any means.

You f*cking take that back right now.

if 35mpg on a long steady run and mid to low twenties around town and when punching it is bearable the 220 is a good car

scorted - is that for the st220 or the 2.0 mondy? my st170 cant hit 35mpg! :O

not sure if this is correct or not but is there as many probs with the 2.2 tdci as the 2.0 tdci? :)

if 35mpg on a long steady run and mid to low twenties around town and when punching it is bearable the 220 is a good car

not sure if this is correct or not but is there as many probs with the 2.2 tdci as the 2.0 tdci? :)

you thinking about the mondy st tdci hezz?

id love one!

you thinking about the mondy st tdci hezz?

id love one!

:innocent:

yes a good friends had a lateish one and I borrowed it for a weekend, giving a bit of loud pedal down b roads does drop the mpg to the lwo twenties but he was doing 35ish on the motorway to and from mine

the 2.2 suffers the same problems

Whats peoples opinions of the bmw 4 cylinder engine? Saw a nice looking 320d for sale and couldnt believe the mpg figures. Its done 88k miles though, which would be nothing for the straight 6's that the <323's have but i have no idea if this is a lot for a 4 cylinder?

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/25985.jpg

If you want a diesel go for the 330, the 2.0 is a bit gutless so ive been told but they are 150bhp so it could all be lies! :D

ive also heard of probs with the inlet manifold doing something destructive that can ruin the whole engine but im sure some of the beemer experts could confirm

Edited by scottg17