curious mechanical/cosmetic/pointless question asked.

shawdreamer

....When I decide Id check my email (which I do once in a blue moon.....seriously I go weeks without checkin it at times)

and....

There's an email from a lad who's car Ive worked on on various occasions, (gearbox swap, ice install and exhaust system change)

what caught my eye really was the sub-title.

"Have you ever fitted one of the electronic dump valve things?"

my interest comically perked and I opened the email for what I knew would be an excellent laff opportunity.

He basically said that he'd wanted a turbo for years (which he'd mentioned to me in passing several times) but still couldn't afford the damage to his insurance premium (bless him he's only 19) and as a compromise he had been pointed in the direction of those god awful fake dump valve kits that have featured on here many a time.....much to our comical delight.

Naturally I was already prepared to tell him they were possibly the most expensive pointless piece of shite Id ever set eyes on and didn't even come close to sounding remotely like a real dumpvalve and he might aswell just drive round with a megaphone out the window shouting "whoosh" when ever he let off the pedal.

but I read on...

He then said that "if they weren't no good (guess he saw my response coming) was there any other way to get the sound without the use of a turbo and would I be able to do it for him?"

Despite still feeling it all quite pointless and more than a smidge funny it did get me thinking, afterall its basically a mechanical type of puzzle that I like messing about with even if the results are usually fruitless and pointless.

So I started thinking about it!,

What could make a realistic dumpvalve noise?

well...a dumpvalve obviously, so why use anything else??

hmmmm.....

So how can I make a dumpvalve operate normally without the pressure produced by a turbo flowing air?

compressed gas maybe?.......Co2 or N20 would be obvious choices given that their non flammable and usually compressed at a pretty decent level (not to mention their readily available).

So that left delivery of gas to valve and triggering!

well the gas would require a high flow rate to kick the dumpvale off so perhaps a high flow solenoid much like the ones used in nitrous kits.

delivery from bottle to DV would be possible with the same tubes used in nitrous too.

that leaves a triggering mechanism....... that would be as simple as a micro switch situated in such a way as to only be pressed when the accelerator pedal is floored and released (which is more or less when a Turbo'd HV go's off)

So now Ive pondered it and came up with what I think is a plausible technique........ should I offer it up to him and see if he wants to waste his money on such a pointless venture (atleast imo....tho he gets what he wants I suppose) or do I simply go round his and slap some sense into him??

Even tho the project does offer something new for me to play about with I still find myself leaning toward the "slap some sense" method.

DISCUSS.... :pancake:

Surely this compressed gas method will work out as expensive as the "speaker under the bonnet" method? (You could actually build your own speaker type system probably cheaper than the retail item)

However, just tell him that the dump valve sound will only make him look like a annoying person as he drives down the street at a snails pace. Tell him just to wait until hes older, or get a diesel and fit a dump valve to that (modern one obviously)

Surely this compressed gas method will work out as expensive as the "speaker under the bonnet" method? (You could actually build your own speaker type system probably cheaper than the retail item)

However, just tell him that the dump valve sound will only make him look like a annoying person as he drives down the street at a snails pace. Tell him just to wait until hes older, or get a diesel and fit a dump valve to that (modern one obviously)

the "slap some sense" approach gets your vote then.

however, the crappy electronic version seems to retail around the £150 mark.

Ive not gone into to much research but Ive came across high flow solenoids at under £50 and secondhand DV's for buttons (the rest of the bits would cost next to nothin either).

ya see I'm struggling with my own philosophy on life..... basically the natural selection theory adapted to modern life.

the strong (in modern terms "the clever") triumph over the weak (in his case "the stupid") which would encourage me to take utter advantage of his apparent lack of sense or intellect to benefit my own curiosity :pancake: